Mum's desktop now got 4gb Ram-Any better?

buel 22:56 12 Jun 2009

Hi, my mum has a Vista desktop that had 3gb of Ram(two 1gb sticks and two 512mb sticks) and worked only 'ok' but she bought an extra 2gb(two 1gb sticks)from Crucial so now has 4gb of Ram and she says it is much quicker. When i click on 'My Computer' and choose 'Properties' it only 'sees' 3.5gb (i've heard that Vista will only ever use 3.5gb), please can you tell me does the pc actually use the extra half a gb?

T I M B O 23:01 12 Jun 2009

You shall be able to look in the bios and it shall see the full 4 gig u have there. When you go to "My Computer" it will only see varying amounts of the actual amount of ram that you have, but the computer shall still use all of the 4 gig.

Sea Urchin 23:08 12 Jun 2009

The amount of RAM that can be used also depends on whether you have a 32 or 64 bit system. Theoretically 32bit uses up to 4GB and 64bit up to 128GB.

click here

Woolwell 23:20 12 Jun 2009

3.5 Gb is about correct for 32 bit Vista.

gazzaho 05:14 13 Jun 2009

It all depends on what ram other parts of the system use. 32bit versions of Windows can utilise a maximum of 4GB, this includes video memory. I myself have 4GB fitted to my Vista machine but can only access 3.07GB because my video card uses 1GB of ram.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires