multivision - new PC not configured correctly

sam-unwise 13:15 19 Nov 2003

Needed a new PC but because I'm not technically minded (clueless really!) I took PC Adviser advice and went for the No 1 power PC as shown in december issue - the multivision ionix pro zs. day 1 - managed to set PC up which wasn't easy because the instructions were limited and not specific to the model. Loads of leads and cables left over, but it was working, so OK. Then noticed that only one hard drive when I'd asked for 2 per PC adviser spec. Had to send PC back to base so that could check out (don't know why this couldn't be done on site !?) PC now back and set up again (still loads of leads and cables left over - but I checked this with multivision and was told all to do with flashy soundcard, all explained in soundcard manual!) No soundcard manual - never mind its all working. Also bought USB pen with PC, so now its back and working thought I'd try it out. Not working! help! I know pen is Ok cos checked on friend's PC. Phoned multivision again. USB ports at front not connected because I didn't ask them to be connected! Per PC adviser spec should have 6 USB ports. Silly me to assume they would all be connected. Question is what do I do now - its difficult to access ports at rear because PC installed in fixed unit with cables all neatly out of sight. Multivision have emailed instructions showing how to open unit and connect - but this looks really scary and not sure I should really have to do this. Also lost lot of faith with multivision - how can I be sure I have everything I paid for when I'm a complete idiot technically? Lost 6 days work so far because they don't pick up and deliver when arranged and dreading showing him indoors phone bill when it arrives. Anyone got any suggestions please?

xania 13:29 19 Nov 2003

I have a great deal of sympathy for your plight. If you do as they suggest, you could invalidate your warranty and then where would you be. I think you have been treated very badly, but this seems to be par for the course, nowadays. I think you should write a formal letter of complaint and insist that they sort out your problems - on-site.

By the way, what did they give you by way of support CDs. Was there and operating system pre-installed and can you get this back if you have problems?

sam-unwise 14:04 19 Nov 2003

Thanks xania, you've reassured me that at least its not just me being technically deficient. Now - this is where I show how completely ignorant I am - would the operating system be the windows thingy? If so, yes it came with MS XP pre installed and I have a CD for it. Guess that bit is OK then!

xania 17:16 19 Nov 2003

Yep. That's right. As you say, they've done something right. But don't let them fob you off with something that could invalidate your warranty. I'm pretty certain that those front USB ports should have been connected up by them - so make them do it and test it before you let them go.

soy 17:56 19 Nov 2003

I feel for you, Multivision SHOULD have connected up the front USB ports. I too was a complete novice at PC's when I got my PC last August. Since then, I have become somehwat of a PC addict and I can't help tinkering with it.

My PC also has front USB ports and they are connected to the motherboard via a single cable. You should read your motherboard manual and find out where the 'UBS Header' is located on your motherboard. Then simply connect your front USB port cable to it. This sounds very daunting, but if you read your motherboard manual and familiarise yourself with the layout then you'll find it much easier.

The other option of course, is to ask Multivision to do it, which could take a while.

Jester2K II 18:01 19 Nov 2003

You might want to raise this in the ConsumerWatch room too. Just start a thread in there and paste in the link to this story...

Good luck - sounds like shocking service... If its under warranty get them to do it. Once satisfied then write to them and trading standards to ask why all the hassle and mistakes! Make sure its clearly marked that you've cc'd the Trading Standards. I find that works a treat....

sam-unwise 16:10 20 Nov 2003

Thanks for all suggestions folks. The email'd instructions from multivision look far too complicated for me. I've got round this problem now (for time being) by connecting a couple of USB cables to rear ports, but I think I'll do what xania suggests and send multivision a letter this weekend insisting they send someone out to connect front ports. When I ordered PC I asked for same as shown in PC Advisor and that clearly states 6 USB ports not 4.

But guess what - I now have a new problem. When I switched on just now monitor displayed a message saying refresh rate too low and to refer to manual. Monitor manual refers me on to graphics card manual. I think this is on CD rom and I haven't looked at it yet, but (scary thought)will this mean something else is wrong with the way its all been thrown together?

sam-unwise 16:27 20 Nov 2003

...and thanks Jester, yes I'll copy to trading standards.

And I've put linking thread in consumerwatch forum too.

alcudia 16:34 20 Nov 2003

I recently acquired an additional pc from Evesham here a work. This came with two USB 2 ports on the back. It also had floating in a plastic bag a hub of three extra ports together with a cable. This apparantly fixes in front of a PCI slot, but does not plug in to the slot, the cable does the job.

If I wanted this hub connected I had to arrange for an engineer, at cost, to come and do it. They would not explain how to connect it. Personally I can't see why the thing wasn't connected in the first place. What's the point of leaving it out?

soy 16:35 20 Nov 2003

Right-click anywhere on your desktop and select 'Properties'.

Click on the 'Settings' tab and 'Advanced' button.

This should open up a menu for your display and graphics configuration. Click on the 'Monitor' tab and you should now be able to change your screen refresh rate via the drop down menu.

Make sure the 'Hide modes that this monitor cannot display' checkbox is checked to be safe.

The higher the refresh rate, the better. Anything 85 and above would be ok

sam-unwise 19:26 20 Nov 2003

Thanks very much soy - but the sad saga is not over yet! Max refresh rate was 85 so I changed to that. Rebooted system, same message "refresh rate too low" appeared and then went on its own without me exiting it. So I hope that is OK now.
New and rather more worrying problem now - Norton antivirus has stopped working - not sure when this happened but PC was scanned only 2 days ago and all OK then. I cant enable again - just get "internal program error 4002,517" Tried to run full scan and got as far as 30000 + files and then got error message. Checked symantec site and tried working through suggested solutions but some of them say to back up the registry and then says its difficult to do this in XP - little ole chicken me is rather frightened. None of other solutions have worked. Rather puzzled that antivirus worked OK for first few days and now gone awol. Put on antivirus software and all patches before going on line with new PC - am I really that unlucky to have picked up a virus?

Anyone got any suggestions what I do now? Is it worth phoning multivision tech support again or shall I admit defeat and hire a techy expert to resolve all my problems (and check my PC thoroughly!) In meantime I'm staying away from Emails and limiting surfing to absolute essentials only.

If anyone can suggest anything at all thank you very much - I'm beginning to lose sanity here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?