Multitude of problems

phil 11:23 07 Jan 2007

The other day I posted about my faulty on board sound chip click here

As advised I disabled the onboard sound but now I find that on start up I'm getting a 'can't find floppy drive' message, the pc starts by itself in the middle of the night and also starts by itself when the phone rings.

Back to the start; I have no floppy drive on my two year old Mesh and in the bios (Asus K8V-MX board) the floppy is disabled even though it is the first item in the start up list.

I changed the list round so that the (disabled) floppy was at the end and the CD Drive first but without any difference.

When I first had the pc it used to start up by itself and Mesh gave me a guide to cure that. I'll have to dig it out again but why should this problem re-occur because of a disabled sound chip?

The phone ringing problem; I'm on broadband and it's never done this before. No settings have been change although I did change from a BT line to First Telecom two months ago but it's been ok until now.

If I were to re-enable the chip, which by the way is called a 'Via OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller' would it cure these problems or would it create a new problem with a sound card conflict?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:34 07 Jan 2007

the pc starts by itself in the middle of the night and also starts by itself when the phone rings.

Disable "wake on LAN" in the BIOS

'can't find floppy drive' message,

Disable "floppy seek" and "FDC" (floppy drive controller) in the BIOS

'Via OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller'
Does not sound like a sound chip its a firewire controller "The VIA IEEE 1394 OHCI host controllers offer a high-speed serial connectivity. The guides below describe how to mount a 1394 SBP-2 (Serial Bus Protocol 2) compliant ATA storage device with those controllers."

phil 11:43 07 Jan 2007

Thanks, I'll check the first two out.

The Via item is in the same section as the video and sound cards in the system info so I presumed it was something to do with the sound chip.

The one I disabled was called a multi controller.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017