multiple windows opening = virus?

Jacqual 17:39 26 Jan 2009

My outlook express runs fine, and I have no problems with Internet Explorer/Google except very occasionaly when I click on a link (eg sales@....) pages start opening at a rapid rate. I whip out the lead to the modem and start deleting them - around 50 each time titled "no page to display - Microsoft Internet Explorer".
I have Norton with live updates, am careful with websites etc and have run a system scan which gave me an all clear. So is it likely to be a fault on my laptop, or a virus of some description that is lying undetected - or even something on the other website/system?

User-1229748 18:44 26 Jan 2009

i would download,update and run malwarebytes and superantispyware and see what they findclick here

gazzaho 03:34 29 Jan 2009

Following smackheadz advice would be well worth while but also, I've found that some links on sites can trigger a whole raft of pop-up windows, do you have pop-up blocker enabled in IE? Perhaps you turned it off at some point to download a file and forgot to turn it back on? Just a thought.

kindly 12:18 29 Jan 2009

I had a virus back in July last year. It was called "vundo". It made IE open windows even when the computer was just sitting doing nothing. I scaned my system with Norton which never found it. I then used "Malewarebytes" which found and got rid of the problem. Been ok since. I dont know where it came from as I am usually pretty good at checking, but obviously not good enough. Hope this helps you.

VoG II 14:27 29 Jan 2009
  Jacqual 19:09 05 Feb 2009

Thanks VoG that is exactly it. There wasn't specific advice to cover Windows 2000 which I have,and the detail looked tricky. As it is not malicious and only happens occassionaly I will just leave it - and anyway I will be getting a new laptop soon which will have a different OS.
However I did download and run malwarebytes and superantispyware. Both picked up items, but superantispyware seemed to do a very thorough job and found 11 Trojans(same one I believe) and 1 Worm(this laptop now runs much better -I thought it was a bit unhappy for a few days before). So thanks everybody I think normal service has been resumed.....

User-1229748 20:25 05 Feb 2009

glad sas worked well for you :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?