Multiple windows open but not wanted

bearface 11:51 05 Sep 2008

My internet home page is uk.msn.com. When I click on the Hotmail sign-in on the right hand side of my home page it opens a new window for my sign-in box. When I sign in it then reverts to the uk.msn.com window with the contents of the hotmail inbox visible on the right hand side of the screen. When I then click on the inbox it displays my inbox on a full screen in yet another window.
Consequently when I read my email I now have three windows open which is a nuisance.
Does anyone know a cure for this, please?

anskyber 12:02 05 Sep 2008

Are you on IE7?

If so choose tools > internet options > advanced tab then choose reuse windows for launching shortcuts. Apply and close.

anskyber 12:21 05 Sep 2008

If you are using tabbed browsing then in internet options, general tab > settings under tabs and select let IE decide for pop ups and new tab in same window for links. Again apply close.

bearface 14:45 06 Sep 2008

Thanks for the advice. It has resolved the problem. The only issue I have as a result of doing this is that when I follow a link which is embedded in an email it uses the same window so when I close the link it also closes my email!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?