Multiple problems with Vista

Tom Steele 22:45 07 Sep 2007

Hi all,

I recently upgraded to Vista Home Premium, and am experiencing several problems. Can anybody out there help me please.

1. System crashes, the screen will suddenly go black, and re-boot without warning.

2. The screen goes black for a few seconds, and then I get an error message sayingthat my Nvidia Display card was failing to respond , but has now recovered.

3. without warning, the sound ceases to operate on my PC, although the volume shows as normal, and there appears to be no fault, there is no sound, until I reboot the system.

These faults are all quite frequent, sometimes several times a day.

alan2273 22:50 07 Sep 2007

How much memory have you got in your computer?.

johnnyrocker 23:10 07 Sep 2007

i would suggest a post in vista forum

johnny.

Tom Steele 07:04 08 Sep 2007

I have 2 GB of ram. Thanks for the response.

Sheik Yerbouti 07:20 08 Sep 2007

Check Nvidia site for latest drivers for graphics card. Also Right click 'My Computer' select properties, then 'Advanced System Settings'. On the 'Advanced' tab, click 'Startup and Recovery' button. Take the tick out of 'Automatically Restart' box. When a failure now occurs, the system won't restart, but will give you an error report,details from which, you can post here for further assistance.

Is it onboard sound or a card?

Sheik Yerbouti 07:22 08 Sep 2007

1st thing I would do is uninstall Nvidia drivers, restart and reinstall latest ones. Disable antivirus suite whilst installing new drivers. (probably best to turn off router/Internet conn. as well)

Tom Steele 08:09 08 Sep 2007

Hello there,
I have done what you suggest by removing the tick from the 'Automatic Restart' box.

The first thing that I did was to ensure that all of my drivers were the latest versions, and that included my Nvidia drivers, so I know that they are already up to date.

Many thanks for your replies.

Andsome 08:23 08 Sep 2007

Personally, I think it's a mistake to upgrade an operating system. When XP first came out, the vast majority of problems posted on forums were as a result of upgrades, and very few with new XP dedicated computers. The same thing seems to me to be occurring with Vista. Best to wait and stick with XP until you have a new computer, built for Vista.

anskyber 08:52 08 Sep 2007

I upgraded to Vista and it has run....perfectly.

Sheik Yerbouti 16:44 08 Sep 2007

Even though the Nvidia drivers are the latest, I would still uninstall them,reboot, disable AV and reinstall them.

Andsome 08:28 12 Sep 2007

anskyber

You are one of the lucky ones. Many people have not been so lucky. The best rule is 'New operating system, new computer'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?