Multiple problems

Sapins 11:31 02 Jul 2010

First Message-"insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service" led to all sorts of problems from computer freezing up, had to do a restart from the tower, to missing blocks of graphics and text before it freezes again.I checked Task Manager to see if anything was using too much of the resources, nothing there. Next Device manager showed USB HID with Yellow ! I remove the device and let windows find it, which it did. Next message "Device malfunctioned-USB root hub (2ports) + general purpose USB hub 94ports) Unused port X 4

I also found a graphics card update on Windows update, installed it but computer froze half way through, however update history shows it was installed! I have ran a Spybot scan, negative.

The computer freezes up if I leave it running for an hour or so, or if I put it in hibernation.

A couple of other points, system restore has disappeared and 2 of my e-mail addresses were put on the blocked senders list!

Any help will be appreciated,

Regards,

Sapins.

Just had another message "insufficient resources etc; followed shortly by freezing again.

MAT ALAN 11:34 02 Jul 2010

click here

follow thread it may help...

woodchip 11:59 02 Jul 2010

How much FREE SPACE on Your Main Drive

Sapins 12:32 02 Jul 2010

I think your link may help, I'm going to go through it and give it a try.

woodchip I have 48.4GB of free space.

I should have given you the spec but I have had 3 days of trying to sort this out.

I have Windows XP SP3 and 1GB of memory.

I have been putting it into hibernation for a long time and with no problems, no extra programmes installed, I run Spywareblaster, Superantispyware, Spybot search and destroy. Windows Defender and Avast anti-virus.

woodchip 14:56 02 Jul 2010

You need to run a Disc Check, Double Click My Computer Right Click your Drive with OS on it then Tools\Check Disc do a full scan and fix auto

Sapins 19:10 02 Jul 2010

I have ran disc check and it only found some free space which needed reallocating.

ICF 19:38 02 Jul 2010

Run this click here

Sapins 08:43 03 Jul 2010

Ran scan, nothing found.

The computer had switched itself off during the night!!

I have an Acronis back up, I think I will use that, but if the problem returns I will do a clean install of XP.

michaelw 09:28 03 Jul 2010

If you do a 'repair' install all your progs and data will remain intact (but b/up in case) and it'll take an hour to repair and an hour or so to redo all upates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?