multiple onmouse______events?

rolmes 23:00 14 Nov 2006

Helloooooooo,
I am trying to invoke 2 javascript events within 1 html tag. The desired result is acheived when I view the web page in Opera, but not when viewed in Explorer, Netscape nor Firefox. I want to action the first event when the mouse is clicked, and the second event when the mouse click is released (therefore I am using the 'onmousedown' and 'onmouseup' events). The first event is to activate a sound file, and the second event is to hyperlink to another page. When I invoke the code in opera, on clicking the mouse the sound file is played, and on releasing the mouse the next page is hyperlinked to - when it is invoked in the other browsers, the sound file is played but the next page is not hyperlinked to. The (full) code that I have used is below. I would be very grateful if someone could offer a suggestion as to why a) it works perfectly in opera and not in any other browser b) where I am going wrong, and most importantly c) what I need to do to ensure it works in all 4 of the above browsers. Thanks in advance.

a onmousedown="self.location='SWEEP.wav'; return false;", onmouseup="href='pageone.html'">Page one /a>

rolmes 08:51 15 Nov 2006

Sorry, the above is a typo - my </a> tag is typed correctly.

MikeyMooMoo 13:48 17 Nov 2006

Surely the mouseup action should be; window.location.href='pageone.html';

Although you may find the browser redirects before finishing the sound, so what i would do is run a function onmouseup that firstly initiates the sound file, then use setTimeout("window.location.href='pageone.html'",n);

where n = no of miliseconds!

hope this helps

rolmes 15:28 17 Nov 2006

thanks for the post, but your suggestion works in the same way as the code I am already using i.e. the sound file is hyperlinked to and played, and the second file (where I want the user to be directed to) is not actioned.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?