Multiple monitor problem

Biffo28 15:20 28 Feb 2009

Hi, I have a Dell Dimension E530 running XP with a ATI Radeon X1950 card installed and i am trying to connect an additional monitor (also a Dell).

The problem is only one monitor will work at a time, the other is blank (amber not green light displayed) - I have been through Microsofts trubleshooting but to no avail, (eg can see the ATI card in devices, reinstalled drivers etc) i have also done the Display setting setup, seen the 2 monitor icons selected monitor 2 and clicked on the "extend my windows desktop etc". (Screen 1 flickers off for a second then returns - nothing on screen 2). Noticed that under the monitor icons the Display drop down menu has "1. Plug and play monitor on Radeaon x1950 series" when the operating monitor is selected and "2. (Default Monitor) on Radeon x1950 series secondary" when the additional (blank) monitor is selected. I think it supposed to say something about multiple monitors here

The ATI card has 2 DVI outputs and if I connect using 2 AVI adapters none of the monitors work, if I connect one via DVI and one using an AVI adapter then one monitor will work. (one monitor is DVI or AVI the other monitor is AVI only). I have checked both monitors and both outputs to check that they all work in a single configuration- its just that they wont work as 2 together.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any ideas offered.

Cheers

Biffo

DieSse 15:24 28 Feb 2009

I seem to remeber some Dells have problems being set up to run from VGA ports - and it looks from what you have said that this is the issue.

Can't remember the details right now - perhaps someone can - and I 'll google around and come back if I can find some more inf.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?