multiple ISPs

ajitgujral 05:37 29 Oct 2009

I have a braodband cable connection without modem of speed upto 2Mbps and a ADSL connection through modem having speed upto 256 Kbps. Both connect to the only Lan Card (Ethernet)in my PC, P-IV, 1 GB RAM. Depending on my requirement I use either of them by removing one from the LAN card and putting other physically. Evertime I do this I have to change IP settings. Is there a better way of managing the dual connections.

mgmcc 08:32 29 Oct 2009

Don't know what you mean by "I have to change IP settings" because, in both cases, the ethernet adapter (Local Area Connection) should get its IP address automatically by DHCP from the ISP.

However, there is no reason why you can't install a second ethernet adapter in the computer and use one for each of your internet connections.

Tech Guy 20:30 29 Oct 2009

Cable BB (without modem, shared connection?) @ 2Mbps & ADSL @ 256 Kbps = bad times ;)

Like mgmcc stated you should have auto set so you'll get an IP address via DHCP, so you shouldn't have to mess with the IP settings.

You could get a cheap switch and plug the computer into it and both BB conx. May save you pulling plugs everytime you change BB type.

Just my 2 pence worth.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires