Multiple Internet Tabs causes computer to crash

shaun_04 17:44 19 Aug 2010

As per title.

I say multiple, but it sometimes happens with just one.

I have used IE, Chrome, and Firefox, it happens with them all.

After it has stopped working, I close the windows, and if I look in task manager, the process(es) are still running, and don't respond when I try to end them.

birdface 18:43 19 Aug 2010

Update and run the free version of Malwarebytes and see if it finds any problems.

click here

I have had similar problems for the last couple of Days with my screen freezing and having to to press the button to switch the computer off.
I found out it was a problem between MSE and Emisoft Anti Malware that was causing it.
Removed both and downloaded them again and so far no bother to-day.

shaun_04 19:34 19 Aug 2010

hi, thanks for the reply.

I ran that and it found 4 infections, which have now been removed.

Afterwards I used the internet for about 20mins, then it crashed again, so it is still not fixed :(

birdface 11:11 20 Aug 2010

Hi shaun were the infections severe any trojans in it.
Not sure what to do next.
But maybe update all of your security programs including Malwarebytes and go into safe mode and run them.
When finished running delete anything that they find then run C Cleaner.
Then switch off system restore and reboot.
Once you have rebooted you can switch system restore back on and see if the computer is running any better.
I would wait and see if you get any other suggestions first before doing that.
[ safe mode] just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts.

birdface 11:17 20 Aug 2010

When in Taskmanager if nothing is running system idle process should be showing about 96% under CPU, That is normal anything else using a lot of the CPU up let us know what.
There was a bad update at the beginning of the month from microsoft that had the same effect on a few computers that you are experiencing.
I will post the update when i find it and just go to add remove and remove it.
You can always put it back by running windows update again.

birdface 11:19 20 Aug 2010

This was the thread that i was referring to.

click here

shaun_04 09:51 02 Sep 2010

Hi, sorry for the big delay in replying.

Malwarebytes found:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\avsoft (Trojan.Fraudpack) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\avsuite (Rogue.AntivirusSuite) -> No action taken.

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\NPAskSBr.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\Users\Shaun\AppData\Local\Temp\VamO.exe (Malware.Gen) -> No action taken.

This log was saved before I got rid of them, hence the no action taken, but they are gone now.

As for the update thing, I am still on Service Pack 2, and don't think those updates have anything to do with my problem.

When nothing is running, CPU is bang on what you say, 96% unused.

Note, the problem is still present.

Quite often when using Chrome, it will freeze, and will stop working. Afterwards, 50% of the time I can open up internet explorer and use that, 50% of the time none of my browsers will work and I need to restart the computer.

birdface 10:21 02 Sep 2010

If using W/7 try safe mode and you get the option of repair.
You could try that only takes a couple of minutes.
I had the exact same problem as yourself a few weeks ago but not sure how I fixed it as I tried most things.
One thing I did try was Task Manager.Click on explorer.exe and then click on end process.
Then while still in there go to File,new task.and add explorer.exe again not sure if that was the one that sorted it for me or not.
The only difference is that I had no Virus's on my computer at the time.

birdface 10:31 02 Sep 2010

Check Device Manager to see if there are any yellow exclamation marks beside any of the drivers.

Best bet would be to update all of your security programs and go into safe mode and run them deleting anything that they find.
Then run C Cleaner to get rid of any junk left behind.
Then disable System restore and reboot.When you reboot remember to switch system restore back on.
Not sure if Malwarebytes on its own would be able to fully remove the Rogue.Antivirus Suite.
So maybe parts of it are still on the computer.

birdface 10:51 02 Sep 2010

click here

This from Malwarebytes but not sure if it can clean it up on its own.

I have to go out so maybe someone else will be able to give you some better advice.

prince midas 20:02 02 Sep 2010

This seems like the problem I have been having for over a week.Pc switches off after 20 mins when Internet is on.Malwarebytes says my PC is clean.HOW do you bring up task manager on the PC?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?