Multiple email accounts, one client

ITBuffoon 22:35 13 Sep 2009

HI, I wonder if someone can help me....

My friend, we'll call him BobX, wants to have 3 email accounts all in one place. The
accounts are..........

His personal hotmail account, and two business accounts which currently go to his webhost
and then are forwarded to his hotmail account.

So currently a customer sends an email to [email protected] &
[email protected]. The emails get forwarded to BobX's hotmail account, but then he
has to reply with his personal hotmail account [email protected], which doesn't look very
professional. He understandably wants to reply to emails using [email protected], for
example.

To access multiple email accounts, and control the Display name on reply, you need client
based software, right? This isn't possible with browser-based webmail is it?

Is Windows Live Mail a sensible choice to use in this situation?

Just one final thing - if all the server credentials are set up OK, will BobX be able to
pick up his email for the three accounts, via Windows Live Mail, via any broadband
connection provide he has access?

Thanks in advance.

Audio~~Chip 00:49 14 Sep 2009

or Outlook in Office or Outlook Express in XP but not Hotmail.

Woolwell 11:53 14 Sep 2009

I use Windows Mail and Outlook to pick up 3 accounts (none of them hotmail). If you want to access the e-mails from different computers then you need to leave the e-mails on the server or move to IMAP.

mgmcc 12:00 14 Sep 2009

>>> To access multiple email accounts, and control
>>> the Display name on reply, you need client
>>> based software, right? This isn't possible
>>> with browser-based webmail is it?

I've never used Hotmail, but it *CAN BE DONE* with Googlemail's web-based inteface.

Taff™ 12:42 14 Sep 2009

All he needs to do s set up each e-mail account on his home computer exactly as at work. The only difference being that the outgoing SMTP server must be the one designated by his ISP. Then when he replies to an e-mail received at home he can choose the appropriate e-mail account to reply from.

I suggest he also sets each of his business accounts to "Leave a copy on the server" so that when he is in work those e-mails will be delivered to work as normal so he has them all in one place. (He just receives copies at home)

The alternative is IMAP which does this anyway as woolwell states.

I`d also stop the forwarding to his hotmail account because then he`ll be receiving another copy to that as well which will just confuse the issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?