Multiple Drive Setup

glo 12:08 07 Jun 2007

I have just purchased a new computer with 2 drives and have often seen it is a good idea to place the operating system and programs on one drive and the data on the other. Is there any advice on how to arrange this or do you just transfer the My Documents folder to the other drive?

Big Roger 5 12:14 07 Jun 2007

It would be much easier for glo to partition his C
drive for his operating system depending on the size of of his drive and he should have plenty of space left over.

Roger

Batch 13:28 07 Jun 2007

DISK 1 (80GB nominal)
C: 10GB - WinXP and Programs (plus other necessaries)
D: 3GB - Volatile Data (Documents, Emails, Address Book, Favourites)
E: 62GB - Stable Data (Music, Photos)
DISK 2 (80GB Nominal)
H: 75GB - Backups etc.

F & G are CD / DVD

C: The Documents & Settings folder is still there, but My Documents has been relocated to D: by right clicking My Documents and changing the target to D:\Steve Data\Documents and moving the data over. Don't know how to move the whole Documents and Settings folder. Not sure if you can. There's a lot of stuff in there that is tightly bound with Windows and there would be many impacts on the registry / other elements, so maybe it is a no go.

OE mail DBXs moved by using OE's Tools, Options, Maintenance tab, Store Folder button. Moved to D:\Steve Data\Application Data\OE Data\Mail DBXs.

Have also moved Address Book to D:\Steve Data\Application Data\OE Data\Address Book. See click here

Favorites also now located at D:\Steve Data\Application Data\Favorites. See click here - I would have edited the registry (and manually copied across the content) rather than the dragndrop method (so can't comment on whether this latter method works).

And Word templates (includes Normal.Dot) are at D:\Steve Data\Application Data\Templates - setup in Word 2000 via Tools, Options, File Locations tab. Probably need to manually copy the data over once set-up - but I can't recall.

Have also moved pagefile.sys (this is typically 1.5 - 3 times the size of your memory) to H to help performance. See click here

Currently my C is using about 3.5GB (which includes hiberfil.sys of 512MB - this will always be the same size as your memory). One needs to allow some workspace and room for additional applications (at least a few spare GB). I don't see any real benefit in trying to have the programs separate from the OS as there are very tight relationships and I wouldn't want to restore one without the other.

Batch 13:32 07 Jun 2007

Also see discussions in this thread:
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?