Multiple daily error messages, daily crashes

the_face 18:22 13 Apr 2003

Hi,

please help - this has been going on for a long time. I get daily error messages, especially when using the net. These windows then shut down once I've had to click "ok" on the error message dialogue box and then I'm back to my desktop.

These errors have so far been:

EXPLORER CAUSED A GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT IN MODULE KRNL.386.EXE AT 0001:00003a48.

EXPLORER HAS CAUSED AN ERROR IN OLE32.DLL

EXPLORER HAS CAUSED AN ERROR IN unknown>,

KERNEL32.DLL

ACRORD32 HAS CAUSED AN ERROR IN COOLTYPE.DLL

OLE32.DLL

KERNEL32.DLL

RPCRT4.DLL

KERNEL32.DLL

MSHTML.DLL

GDI.EXE

DDHELP HAS CAUSED AN ERROR IN DDRAW.DLL

WININET.DLL

COMCTL32.DLL

WININET.DLL.

There have been other error messages, but I am losing patience with having to write them down all the time.

If the computer is just left to automatically hibernate after inactivity, it sometimes crashes as well and won't "wake up".

I have also had the following: WINDOWS PROTECTION ERROR. YOU NEED TO RESTART YOUR COMPUTER. SYSTEM HALTED. (this is on a blue screen)

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? My PC is a pentium 4 1.4, running off Windows ME with 128 RAM.

I would really appreciate the help as I have a dissertation to write soon and I don't want to risk losing 20,000 words worth of work!!!

Thanks.

Big Elf 18:26 13 Apr 2003

I can't help with this but suggest you backup your work now.

MAJ 18:33 13 Apr 2003

There are too many error messages there to go through and fix one at a time and its been happening for a long time. I would do as Big Elf suggests and backup all your important stuff to removable media, then do a clean reinstall of ME, the_face.

Confab 18:36 13 Apr 2003

First of all back up your work. A quick Google search on the above all seem to relate to internet explorer. have you tried repairing this?

You don't say what version of explorer you have but windows has an automatic repairer took bnuilt in. In windows 98 (I know you have ME but I'm sure its around the same area) go to start, programs, accessories, system tools and click on system information. Under the section tools you'll fine Internet Explorer repair tool. Click on this to repair you IE.

Your problems could also relate to be an incorrect graphics card driver so check this out as well.

Amber

Confab 18:42 13 Apr 2003

Sorry about the spelling mistakes but this is my last glass of wine today - honest

Amber

the_face 18:45 13 Apr 2003

I think I have IE version 6. I got it on microsoft update through the net.

More importantly though, I've been to where you told me to go but I can't find the Internet Explorer repair tool - there is none.

I did discover my fault logs though. How do I go about rectifying these? By the way, I always back up my work :)

Confab 18:48 13 Apr 2003

Sorry, I'm running win 98 but I'm sure someone here who's got ME will post and tell you exactly where to find it.

Amber

Confab 19:04 13 Apr 2003

click here

Amber

the_face 19:27 13 Apr 2003

I've done that and I definitely have IE 6. I've followed the instructions and performed the task.

Can I do anything about these other errors?

Confab 19:46 13 Apr 2003

COOLTYPE.DLL is part of adobe acrobat reader. Have you uninstalled this recently? Re-install adobe and that should clear the problem.

DDRAW is DirectDraw which is a part of DirectX and is used by games and multimedia applications to display 2D graphics.

When you get more errors post them and well try to clear one at a time. It could take you a while though.

Have you done anything to your PC that may have caused all these errors? When you uninstall software do you click "yes" to remove DLL's? It might be easier, as previously posted, to do a clean install of your os and start again.

Amber

sacza 20:48 18 Apr 2003

Hi, you're not alone. I am running Win 98SE and have just started getting a problem with gdi.exe when on the net. Did you resolve your problem? I think I'll try the System Tools as suggested. Curious as I haven't added or deleted anything recently. Once it goes down, there's no way back without coming off the net and rebooting. Sacza.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017