Multi Region software

ntg06 13:00 26 Mar 2008

I have recently purchased a Media Centre PC running Vista Premium and Power DVD software.
I also have a Pioneer Blu-Ray DVD drive installed in it.
I have been reading some of the posts related to setting the machine to multi-region mode, but I am not 100% clear on exactly what this does.....

If I use the region killer software, will it then allow me to play any region DVD's in both Microsoft media centre, and Power DVD, or do I still need to purchase a multi-region player?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:13 26 Mar 2008

Region setting
There are actually up to 3 region protections on a system:
- 1 in the DVD drive
- 1 in the Operating System (windows) - More info on Windows region management.
- 1 in the software player (eg. WinDVD, PowerDVD...)

When you flash your drive with a region free firmware (RPC-1), you remove the region counter from the drive itself completely, but with this counter gone, the software counters kick in to replace the one from the DVD drive. This means that you still have these other 2 to defeat!!!.
An alternate region free solution that is available for some drives is known as an "Autoreset" firmware: Instead of removing the counter from the drive completely, the counter simply resets itself to an unlocked state when the computer is restarted. This way, the drive appears as region protected (RPC-2) but the counter can be changed indefinitely. Creating autoreset patches is slightly more difficult for the patcher, but makes the life of the user easier because DVD Genie and Region Killer are not required as they are for RPC-1 firmwares.
On the other hand, it's easy for software manufacturers to detect autoreset firmwares, and if they decide to do so, you will still need a software patch in the long run. This is why RPC-1 firmwares are seen by most as the long term solution.

So, unless a program like DISCInfo click here or Drive Region Info tells you that your drive is still protected or you used an autoreset firmware, your drive IS region free, and any region counters that you still see come from software region settings.

To bypass that, you need to use programs such as DVD Genie click here or DVD Region Killer click here (the later is highly recommanded).

ntg06 16:06 26 Mar 2008

I read this post, but didn't understand whether the Region killer solves all 3 protections, hence my post???

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:50 26 Mar 2008

Region killer only solves the software region counters in the "players"

If your drive is region protected then you need a firmware update.

steven99 20:57 19 May 2008

I have recently purchased a Sony Vaio (VGN-NR11S) ans have Vista installed (purchased in the UK). Unfortunately, it seems I cannot view any dvds from Region 1 (North America). Does anyone know of any softwar which may work on this laptop which will permit me to see Region 1 and Regin 2 dvds with vista? Cant seem to find any for Vista ad my vaio.
Thanks

Miké 21:36 19 May 2008

Solves all the above issues click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?