Multi modem use.

Bogbrain 16:39 26 Feb 2006

Just upgraded to broadband on Win 2000. Also on same partition is Win 98 SE. Can I still use my dial up modem on either o/s as a sort of 'back up' if usb modem goes tits up? The dial up modem is still installed incidentally.
Point 2 ) I have two further pc's both with dial up access that I use from the same ISP account.( that is, all 3 pc's are on the same wanadoo a/c) Will it still be possible to get access online via the dial up modems on these other two pc's or can I just say transfer my usb modem to get broadband connected on those as well. Is a broadband modem interchangeable with my other two pc s if or when I wanted to use them online as well.
Incidentally, the other two pc's are AMD machines not Intel, apparently this can make a difference in the 'speed' of the broadband service.
Illumination expected on some or all of these queries. I shall sit back and wait.

Smiler 16:46 26 Feb 2006

"Incidentally, the other two pc's are AMD machines not Intel, apparently this can make a difference in the 'speed' of the broadband service"

Never heard that before. my amd 3400+ gives me my full 2Mb speed

Batch 17:02 26 Feb 2006

You should be able to use the dial-up when your broadband is not available.

Likewise, you can plug the USB modem into other PCs and do the set-up on each on these and connect to your braodband service (and, of course, also use the dial-ups on these if you prefer).

You'll also be able to concurrently use broadband on one of the PCs and dial-up on another PC.

However, the best soultion would be to get a broadband modem router (supporting wireless if necessary) and then all the PCs could access the same broadband connection simultaneously, or (one of them) could use dial-up at the same time as other are using broadband (but can't really see why you'd want to do this).

Fingees 17:12 26 Feb 2006

I use broadband, but occasionally use dial up with a different ISP.

This is purely to enable me to use the email address on the dial up ISP.

Most ISPs cancel any dial up account with them, about two weeks after activating the broadband account.

I would suggest you unplug the dialup modem from the telephone plug when not in use.

The reason is, on broadband you are liable to get a rogue dialer program load and dial up when you are not at your computer, and you may not notice. this could cost a lot of money.

ade.h 17:29 26 Feb 2006

Good suggestion, there.

Removing any dial-up equipment removes the risk from diallers.

Per haps if your budget allows in the future, you could follow Batch's suggestion and router the whole lot with PCI cards and a modem/router.

Batch 17:34 26 Feb 2006

I've never heard of ISP's just cancelling accounts like that. Sure, some of them will disable them after an extended period of inactivity (I think freeserve/wanadoo do so after 90 days of not dialling in [but it can still be re-activated for a long time after that], but others, like Tiscali, don't seem to care and the dial-up accounr and email just seem to be left active).

As I originally had a dial-up freeserve account and used it for my main email, that's why I keep the dial-up and just dial-in at least every 3 months to keep it active (that's a hell of a lot less hassle than changing masses of websites etc. where I'm registered using that email).

BUT, there is generally no reason why you can't use the email account from the dial-up ISP on a broadband (or dial-up) account from a different ISP - it's just a matter of setting up your email client in the appropriate way.

I do agree that it's best to keep the dial-up cable disconnected, when not in use, to avoid problems of rogue diallers.

Stuartli 17:42 26 Feb 2006

I use both broadband and a dialup modem according to requirements and both are fully configured - the dialup is used for two PAYG accounts.

The dialup modem's lead is connected to a telephone extension cable as and when required.

ade.h 18:01 26 Feb 2006

Of those companies that do cancel PAYG dial-up accounts, Plusnet is the most restrictive that I have seen, as it requires you to dial in at least once every 30 days.

It's understandable really; so many people casually sign up for PAYG accounts, often for short periods, and then they lie unused.

Bogbrain 18:48 26 Feb 2006

Thankyou all for your informative replies. It just about covers everything I wanted to know plus a few more things too, especially about the splitter and router.
Inidentally, my dial up modem cable isn't actually connected 'live' to anywhere as I needed the phone point for my usb modem.It's just the actual modem that's still physically attatched just in case I was still able to use it as a 'back up' way of getting back online should my usb modem go tits up.
Also, Im still using all the same online security protection I had as when I was on dial up so I feel pretty confident about not inviting any trash from rouge diallers or any other snoopy bugger.I know all my ports that are supposed to be 'invisible' or closed are.
Once again, thanks.

Batch 18:55 26 Feb 2006

Haven't you got a microfilter plugged in to the phone port (the microfilters normally support the simultaneous oplugging in of telephone line [as used in dial-up) and ADSL for broadband)

Stuartli 20:45 26 Feb 2006

To add to Batch's point about the splitter, if you also run a telephone via the splitter as well as the USB modem, an ordinary double phone adapter will allow use of the dialup modem and the phone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires