Multi display in xp

dandew 12:23 25 Jan 2011

Can anyone help.
Afyer much searching confusion only.
I want to have 4 monitors on xp cptr ( old )??
Can i simply add PCI graphics cards for each monitor ( for office apps , not games ).
The subject is very confusing.

GaT7 12:36 25 Jan 2011

Two graphics cards with two connectors each can achieve what need.

Or, just the one graphics card like click here will support 4 monitors as well. G

dandew 03:39 26 Jan 2011

Crossbow7
Thanks for reply
Had a look at Matrox products, very interesting and would certainly do the job, but are too expensive.

I already have 1 PCIex card in, which drives 2 monitors but need 2 more ( will make do with 1 more to make 3 monitors in total).
The computer has only 1 PCIex slot which is used by existing card.
Can i just add another ordinary PCI card ( not ex ) and expect to drive 1 more monitor.
This i can do without expense.

Thanks for your response.

gengiscant 08:58 26 Jan 2011

Can you post your motherboard/grapics card and power supply. With this info it maybe easier to suggest the best route to do what you require.

ashleycardwell94 09:27 26 Jan 2011

if your using it for desktop work and not gaming, USB graphics cards are available. check them out here.

click here

this might be a cheaper option and easily expanded too.

GaT7 11:49 26 Jan 2011

Yes, another standard PCI graphics card with 2 connectors will give you 2 more displays (or one connector, one extra display).

I know Matrox cards are expensive, & that's why I linked to an eBay auction ;-), G

dandew 21:45 26 Jan 2011

gengiscant

The PC data taken by Speccy
Speccy Data

MS Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3

CPU Intel Pentium 4 650
Prescott 90nm Technology
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz

RAM 2.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard FUJITSU SIEMENS D2151-A1 (CPU)

Graphics DELL D1025HE @ 1152x864
SyncMaster @ 1152x864
512MB Radeon X1650 Series (C.P. Technology)

Hard Drives 244GB Western Digital WDC WD2500SD-01KCC0 (IDE) 40 °C

Optical Drives HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B

Audio Realtek High Definition Audio

The PSU is not given here but i think it is 250Watts ( I checked it when i installed the graphics card ).

I noticed that a report by SIW shows 1 PciExX16 and 1 PciEx X 1 ( the latter being available ). This i did not expect. i will have to open case and examine this but it may be relevant.

Can anyone say whether any Pci ( Not Express ) will work alongside the Radeon X1650 without problems.

I did not realise a USB possibility and will check this out, as the PSU at 250W is just enough for now and will need changeing if much more power is taken, Also the PSU seems propriety Fujitsu so maybe not easily replaced, this i will check later.

Thanking ye all for help.

woodchip 22:04 26 Jan 2011

For a PCI card you will most likely have to get a second hand one from a Computer Fair

GaT7 13:15 27 Jan 2011

"Can anyone say whether any Pci ( Not Express ) will work alongside the Radeon X1650 without problems."

Yes, should be OK, but what resolution(s) will you be using the monitor(s) connected to this PCI GPU?

As you have a x1 PCI-E (to confirm click here - PDF file), you can also use a PCI-E x1 GPU. But I don't think these are very common, & may be expensive workstation-type GPUs (unless you're OK to buy from eBay).

------------------------------------------------

"...as the PSU at 250W is just enough for now and will need changeing if much more power is taken,"

One more low-end PCI card will be OK on your 250W PSU.

"Also the PSU seems propriety Fujitsu so maybe not easily replaced, this i will check later."

Let me know the PSU's dimensions (W x H x D in cm/mm) & I'll tell you if a standard one will be OK or not.

Also let us know if the case is a low-profile or slim-type one. G

dandew 20:51 27 Jan 2011

Crossbow7 Thank you for response

The new monitor, will be displaying office type programs eg excel.

The PSU. I checked this, it is propriety, very complex with a fan for CPU cooling and grills and specially fitted in case. ( I have changed several PSU units in past and know this is special. The CPTR is a FujitsuSiemens Tower Esprimo ( 5906 I Think ).

I tried a PCI garaphics card without success, CPTR simply beeped with no start. I know ths card was OK as I took it out of another working CPTR which had same OS ( XP Home ). The card I tried was S3Trio 64V+.

I have access to several PCI Graphics cards so maybe another one will work or maybe some BIOS settings needed.
Can you advise please.

To repeat : the display will not show games only Office type software.

Thanking you

GaT7 11:08 28 Jan 2011

I think the card you tried may be too old. Try the newest PCI card you have - newest in terms of when it was introduced / available to buy. Then once you can boot into Windows, you may need to go into go into Display Properties > Settings to make a few finer adjustments there. If it doesn't work at all, then the cards may be too old.

No, AFAIK no adjustments need to be made in the BIOS. Although, you can try one - by default the BIOS will have 'display PCI first' (or similar) enabled for the GPU, so change this to 'display PCI-E first' & see if that makes a difference.

What are the native resolutions of the monitors you're connecting? Or, if the CRT type, what resolutions will you be running them at?

Which tower does your PC resemble the most out of these click here? G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017