multi boot doesn't work

mad1234 12:36 10 Feb 2006

I have just put a new hard drive into my pc & installed windows XP. I took out my old smaller hard drive that has windows ME on it before I started without realising that XP would create a menu to bootup between the two drives. I later discovered that I had a program that will not run correctly on XP & therefore I need my old hard drive with windows ME on back in my pc. I have altered my boot.ini file to give me the bootup options but when I choose windows ME I get this error.

I/O ER
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\BOOTSECT.DOS

Can you help me to get this to work?

Terry Brown 13:53 10 Feb 2006

If you go to RUN and enter MSCONFIG, you wil see an option for Boot.ini.Have the system check for valid paths.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:54 10 Feb 2006

You may notice an entry in our BOOT.INI file pointing to a previous operating system.
If you select this option during boot-up, Windows XP looks at the BOOTSECT.DOS file for loading instructions.

If your computer had an operating system on it prior to Windows XP,
the Setup program will copy the original boot sector to the BOOTSECT.DOS file. In the case of Windows 98/ME, the BOOTSECT.DOS file would contain instructions to load IO.SYS.

I/O Error accessing boot sector file
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1):\ bootsect.dos

This error indicates that the BOOT.INI file either points to the wrong location for the BOOTSECT.DOS file or that the BOOTSECT.DOS file is corrupted.

stylehurst 13:56 10 Feb 2006

There is a facility within XP to make an errant program believe it is running under a different Windows OS to cater for programs that will not run under XP; is this not a possibility instead of installing a multiboot system.

mad1234 08:28 13 Feb 2006

ok thanks for the advice i now have my boot.ini saying that the boot paths are ok but when i boot up & try to goto windows me the dam thing restarts & gives me the menu again. Is this the bootsect.dos file? If so how do i fix it?

mad1234 12:00 13 Feb 2006

someone help me please!!

mad1234 14:05 13 Feb 2006

HELP!!!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:43 13 Feb 2006

Your bootsect.dos will be on the old drive which is now probably D:

the boot.ini file is probably looking for it on C:

you need to redirect (edit) the path in the ini file to the correct drive.

mad1234 15:51 13 Feb 2006

fruit bat
I have change the boot.ini so it is looking for d but it still doesn't work. When i check drive paths it says they are ok.

mad1234 17:55 13 Feb 2006

is there any body there?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:17 13 Feb 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?