MUCH HELP NEEDED

robert67 22:15 17 Sep 2007

OK, where do I begin ,I will start by admidting I know little about computers,there that was not too bad.

Right I had up untill recently 1 pc connected to AOL for cable broadband,my missus has just bought me a Compaq laptop dualcore wireless enabled with lots of bits and thingies, and my daughter has just been given a pc which runs quite fast ,so I think its clear of junk or is a least 1gb.

I can not for the live of me get a wirless network set up ,the old pc runs fine on the netgear router Aol sent out free for wireless use,
the laptop can see the network but can not go on to AOL for internet use, and the router wont see the netgear wireless adapter for my daughters pc even though they are the same make .

I almost giving up, the call centres are no good they just add to the frusration, can anyone give me a few pointers.I wont answer back tonight ,I off to drown my sorrows.

Cheers

Ashrich 22:30 17 Sep 2007

Ok , if the laptop can see the wireless router then all you need to do is to click on the Network icon on the task bar ( I assume as it is new that you are running Vista ) click on " connect to a network , highlight your AOL router , double click on it , it will ask for the security key , enter it and tick the box to remember it , then you should be connected

As for the other PC , did you mean that the PC can't see the router rather than the other way round , what happens when it scans for networks ?

Does the wireless adapter show in Device Manager and if it is there , does it have any exclamation marks next to it ?

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?