MTU setting for XBox360

Mike_R 19:09 10 Sep 2008

My grandson has connected his XBox360 to the Internet via an ethernet cable to a Netgear DG834G router. He says that he is getting a message that the MTU setting is wrong. I don't know the exact wording. He has found a button on the router setting it to default values but it did not solve the problem. Can anyone advise what would be an appropriate MTU setting for the XBox, please? Whatever the MTU value is set to, and I haven't altered it, it seems to handle the desktop and laptop OK.
As far as I know, my grandson has not been into the router as it is password protected.

mgmcc 22:08 10 Sep 2008

The default MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) setting is normally 1500 but, with ADSL, may have to be reduced to 1492 or 1450. AOL uses a low MTU setting of 1400.

Have a look in the router's configuration pages for the option to alter the MTU setting. An incorrect MTU setting often shows up as an inability to access secure "https" sites.

Mike_R 16:21 11 Sep 2008

Thanks. I will try the 1492 and, if necessary, the 1450 setting.

Mike_R 16:55 11 Sep 2008

I've done some WEB browsing and am wondering whether the DG834G is compatible with the Xbox360. It is not listed by Microsoft as such. If the MTU is already set to 1500 and the router is compatible, it seems that it should work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?