MSVCR71.dll

kimtrnc 14:04 09 Oct 2008

since 2 days ago, my system constantly tellms that there is a problem with the above program. I have "restored" a couple of times, and it is more or less ok ( some programs run, although threatening not to, some won't run at all) until restart, when it pops up again. I run virus protection and scan every day, but this is now nbecoming very irritating.
Help,please!

Rahere 14:32 09 Oct 2008

Is there an error message?

What version of Windows are you using

tullie 14:47 09 Oct 2008

MCVCR71 is part of the microsoft runtime library and not a programme in itself,or so i understand.

kimtrnc 14:55 09 Oct 2008

Rahere - the error message says " this programme cannot start because MSCR71.dll is not found". this happens no matter what program I am trying to run. sometimes, after the original message, the program DOES in fact run, but others do not.
Operating system is win XP hHome, SP3
Thanks

Halmer 14:58 09 Oct 2008
  Rahere 15:06 09 Oct 2008

You have replaced the file a couple of times I think but did you re register the file too?

To register the dll file.
start>run>type the following

regsvr32 "C:\Windows\System32\msvcr71.dll"

you should get a confirmation message if successful

if you haven't replaced it already you may have to rename the old file, paste a fresh copy of the file in the same folder then register it again.

kimtrnc 15:36 09 Oct 2008

Rahere - thanks I will do that....

Halmer - looks promising

Rahere 15:44 09 Oct 2008

You got me Halmer! My sugestion was based on this too!!

Good luck Kimtrnc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017