MSN set as homepage in IE - unable to change

jpallen 22:27 12 Jul 2006

I have had to reformat my PC (after a virus), after loading everything back on to my PC I am now unable to change my IE homepage from "uk.msn.com" - I use the "Tools/internet options/change homepage" processes which is fine until I close IE - then when I re-open IE its back to the MSNhompage !

Anybody got any ideas how I can overcome this problem ?

PC is XP Pro - using IE6 with SP2 and I hope with all the various updates.

johnshaw 09:13 13 Jul 2006

Many security programs lock the IE homepage from changing. Check the security programs on your computer to see whether they locks the IE homepage. Some common ones might be:

Norton Antivirus
Zonelabs Zone Alarm
Grisoft AVG Antivirus
Spybot Search and Destroy
SpywareBlaster
Ad-Aware

jpallen 16:06 13 Jul 2006

I have ZA, AVG, Spybot and looked in them for anything that may have disabled the homepage settings but I cannot find anything. Any more suggestions that I could try ?

bof:) 15:34 14 Jul 2006

Hi jpallen, try installin StartPage Guard if you think its not one of your security programs protecting your homepage.

click here

Mike

De Marcus™ 15:56 14 Jul 2006

It's a known problem, to the public anyway, MS don't seem to have anything in the KB, I've just restored a laptop, installed av + firewall, connected to MSupdate, rebooted and now have the same problem, registry changes make no difference whatsoever and neither will startpage guard, I had this happen on my desktop not so long back and the only thing I found to fix it was as soon as the installation completes, install startpage before you do anything else.

beynac 16:05 14 Jul 2006

Have you got the new version of Zone Alarm (free)? There is a known problem. For info click here

De Marcus™ 08:51 15 Jul 2006

Thankyou, zonealarm is the problem, at least it was for me, I uninstalled it, changed the homepage, found another firewall (kerio).

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?