msn problem since my use of various tools

gazmix 20:32 13 Sep 2007

Hi
I have messenger 7.5 as my messenger.
I've recently used various tools to clear up a Virtumonde issue.

Now when i try to sign in to messenger 7.5 i get a message saying a newer version is available & i must install it to continue!
I used 7.5 ok the other day! what can i do to get rid of the prompt to update??

aagh

gazmix 20:57 13 Sep 2007

Can anyone help, i need msn to help a friend out who is ill & i can't use my messenger 7.5 that i could the other night!
It says i can't carry on unless i download the latest version, but when i look on filehippo & oldversion websites, i can see the 7.5 version is available??

What can i do? I just want the easy 7.5 version, & if i download the other, all my contacts maybe lost, i dunno, but i need help fast, someone else relys on me being in contact!!

Gaz

VoG II 21:02 13 Sep 2007

Try click here - it isn't much different and all your contacts etc. will be preserved.

gazmix 21:17 13 Sep 2007

Do i need to uninstall 7.5 1st?
What could have been the problem?, i can't imagine the licence has run out!
Could i uninstall & reinstall? Would that keep all my contacts??
The message to update pops up occasionally whatever i'm doing online
Thanks

gazmix 21:26 13 Sep 2007

If i uninstall 7.5 & reinstall via the version on filehipp, will i lose the connections i have on messenger??

On filehippo there are 3 versions of messenger 7.5, i don't know which one i have??

I gotta get it working asap :(

Gaz

VoG II 21:48 13 Sep 2007

Just install the version that I suggested - no reason to do anything else.

gazmix 22:05 13 Sep 2007

I am doing what you say, it is currently downloading, but i don't understand why i can't use 7.5 anymore & why i can't uninstall 7.5 & reinstall 7.5 via filehippo??.
I just want what i had & not lose my contacts!!:)
Gaz

johnnyrocker 23:14 13 Sep 2007

system restore?

johnny.

gazmix 23:24 13 Sep 2007

mm, system restore, i don't seem to have any restore points & if i did, it may still say i can't use 7.5!!

Vog
Thanks
I have the 8.1 installed & all seems fine, but i wondered if it has overwritten 7.5 as when i check add/remove programmes the amount of space it has took up has gone from 18.5MB to 31.5MB. Surely this is too much for messenger 8.1?

Could there be any of 7.5 leaft on my pc that i could delete? as i have a small hard drive!!
Cheers

johnnyrocker 23:25 13 Sep 2007

try disk cleanup?

johnny.

skidzy 23:28 13 Sep 2007

If your drive is that tight for space that you cannot fit a 31MB program,you should think of a new drive.

Or at least backup your important data to an external drive or dvd and remove any unwanted files/programs etc.

Running ccleaner may cleanup a bit for you click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?