MSN Messenget to Windows Messenger

david4637 18:40 26 Jul 2004

Is it possible to a talk via a headset using the above software applications via the net. I have W98SE (and will download MSN and my friend has XP - Windows Messenger. Any snags I am on dial up, he is on BB. Whats the audio likely to be? Thanks David

david4637 16:40 27 Jul 2004

F5

david4637 20:02 28 Jul 2004

Surely someone must have tried talking to folk who have a different Messenger program, and whether the link worked or not? Please help. Thanks David

Smegs 21:16 28 Jul 2004

david4637, not to sure about the different Messenger, but I'm on Xp Home and a mate of mine was on 98se. I couldn't call him, but he could call me. We put that down to the OS's.

Not sure about the BB/D-Up bit. Sorry.

sil_ver 21:24 28 Jul 2004

If you are on dial-up audio will be too choppy to hold a conversation

david4637 16:48 29 Jul 2004

Thanks for your replies, I will leave it open for a little longer in the hope someone else may have some experience on this option. Thanks David

Mr Scone 17:08 29 Jul 2004

When on BB internet connection I could talk to dial up users via MSN messenger. I'm not sure exactly what the difference is between the two programmes you want to connect. I thought windows messenger was a program used for communicating over networks and the like (a bit like netsend) but please correct me if i'm wrong (which I probably am).

If both people are using MSN messenger (ie the little green man in the bottom right corner) then it will work. I got a little time delay and occasionally fuzzy sound but it worked ok. Be much better with BB connections though - could have video too!

MS

Strawballs 18:51 29 Jul 2004

A friend of mine was useing windows messenger and always said that he could not talk to anyone using headset untill he installed msn messenger now it works fine

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone