MSN Messenger and Windows ME

FreeCell 17:49 26 Feb 2006

Had a call from a friend needing help. Someone installed MSN Messenger v7 on their computer which runs under Windows Me. It has crashed out with a DUN/RAS error (Error 624) and so I will look into the problem here. However I thought MSN Messenger was an XP program. Anyone know if there is a version that will run on Windows Me? I have looked back as far as MSN Messenger v5 and requirements are XP.

Thanks

anskyber 17:53 26 Feb 2006
  VoG II 17:54 26 Feb 2006

It should run on ME click here

FreeCell 17:56 26 Feb 2006

Thanks anskyber. Very helpful

FreeCell 18:02 26 Feb 2006

Think the person who down loaded MSN used the XP version. Now I know there is a Me version I will visit and try and fix the DUN problem and uninstall MSN and load the Me version to be sure. nPresume the DUN problem has arisen because MSN has been left to connect on startup as a default.

Batch 18:38 26 Feb 2006

FYI

There's MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger. Similar but not the same.

Windows Messenger is included with all versions of Windows XP and is installed by default.
As an alternative to, or in addition to, Windows Messenger, you can use MSN Messenger
for text, audio, and video messaging. MSN Messenger is not included with Windows XP, but
if you use MSN you probably already have it, and if you don’t have it, you can download it
free from click here. With both programs on board, you can use whichever
you prefer. If you have more than one Passport account, you can log on to both messaging
tools at the same time. (You can’t be logged onto the same Passport account on both programs
at once, however.)
The most obvious difference between MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger is that the
former is a consumer-oriented product with—as you might expect—lots of connections to
MSN itself. Tabs along the side panel in MSN Messenger provide quick access to MSN
Shopping, MSN Games, MSN Money, MSNBC, and more. An ever-changing (but also everpresent)
advertising panel appears at the bottom of MSN Messenger’s main window.
Other differences are less visible but equally important. Both products support communication
via .NET Messenger Service, but Windows Messenger also allows users to communicate
via Sessions Initiation Protocol (SIP) servers and Microsoft Exchange Server. If you
work in an environment where SIP servers are available or use an Exchange Server–based
e-mail system, you might find messaging with colleagues (particularly where audio or video
is involved) quicker and more trouble-free using those options instead of .NET Messenger
Service. (To use SIP or Exchange accounts, choose Tools, Options in Windows Messenger,
click the Accounts tab, and select either My Contacts Include Users Of A SIP Communications
Service or My Contacts Include Users of Exchange Instant Messaging—or both.)
On the other hand, if you want to play Mozaki Blocks, Cubis, Hexic, Bejeweled, or a variety
of other games with online contacts, MSN Messenger is for you. MSN Messenger also
includes a Make A Phone Call command that has been dropped from versions 4.7 and later
of Windows Messenger. If you have an account with an Internet telephony service, you can
use this command to connect by phone with contacts who don’t happen to be online.
Our take: It’s good to have both programs on hand, but for simple text messaging we favor
the ad-free Windows Messenger. For more details about the two messaging programs, see
Knowledge Base article 330117, “Running Both Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger
5.0 in Windows XP” (click here).

Batch 18:44 26 Feb 2006

BTW, the above is from WIndows Inside Out by Ed bott / Carl Siechert / Craig Stinson

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017