MSN Messenger and Outlook Express

ER INDOORS 15:04 03 Mar 2004

Can anybody help me. I now use Windows XP. When I go into Outlook Express I get signed out of MSN Messenger. Why is this? It never happened when I was using Windows 98 SE.

roygbiv 16:07 03 Mar 2004

something to do with settings, in the programs ??

surfer girl 17:29 03 Mar 2004

This is because MSN messenger and Windows messenger are two different programs. The following is taken from Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 302089

How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer

Start Windows Messenger.
Click Options on the Tools menu.
Click the Preferences tab, click to clear the Run this program when Windows starts check box, and then click OK.
NOTE: This procedure does not prevent users from manually running Windows Messenger, but it does prevent Windows Messenger from running automatically each time that you start Windows. If you use Outlook Express or Outlook 2002, Windows Messenger may start automatically each time you run Outlook Express or Outlook. To prevent Windows Messenger from signing in when you run Outlook Express:
In Outlook Express, click Options on the Tools menu.
On the General tab, click to clear the Automatically log on to Windows Messenger check box.
Click OK.
To prevent Windows Messenger from signing in when you run Outlook:
In Outlook, click Options on the Tools menu.
On the Other tab, click to clear the Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook check box.
Click OK.

ER INDOORS 21:06 03 Mar 2004

Thank you surfer girl. I'm pleased to say that both Outlook and MSN Messenger are now working fine. What would we do without PC Advisor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?