MSN Messenger emoticons

the1andonlyplug 14:17 03 Jul 2007

Does anyone know where the emoticons are stored for MSN Messenger?? I've been trying to find them to copy to disc so I don't lose them all when I need to do a re-install, thanks in advance, Paul.

recap 15:36 03 Jul 2007

I think they are stored with MSN and not on your computer.

the1andonlyplug 16:22 03 Jul 2007

Hi recap, I don't think they're stored on MSN, if they were, they'd all still be there after I did a restore, all I have is the few basic ones and not the ones I got from other people. :-)

dogbreath1 17:35 03 Jul 2007

"First of all sign out of Messenger and open Windows Explorer and navigate to tools \folder options \view - in the advanced settings box uncheck hide extensions for known file types - after doing this go to C:\documents and settings \your user name \application data\microsoft\msn messenger -
there will be several folders named with numbers - these numbers are associated with the different email accounts users have logged into messenger using that pc - locate the folder associated with your email id (usually it is the first folder)and inside you will find a folder named custom emotions - you'll see it contains files with .dat extensions - you can view these files using internet explorer - now right click and save it."

I found this elsewhere. Hope it helps.

the1andonlyplug 23:16 03 Jul 2007

Many thanks Dogbreath, i'll try it later and let you know if it works... ;-)

the1andonlyplug 18:54 04 Jul 2007

Cheers for that one...it worked fine, all sorted now. Paul.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone