msn messenger

terryf 22:16 12 Sep 2006

Has anyone noticed that MSN messenger is not available or is it only since I did the Msoft updates?

VoG II 22:18 12 Sep 2006
  terryf 22:23 12 Sep 2006

Thanks VoG™, I had tried that with same result but when I try to sign in it either freezes or flashes up a message to say not available. I will try uninstall

terryf 22:24 12 Sep 2006

PS I ahve no probs getting on web or receiving emails

terryf 22:31 12 Sep 2006

Tried CP>add/remove and did a repair, again comes up with a message 'Signing in to MSN Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable, try again later 81000314' Most peculiar because your link says status is OK, tried on another PC, same result so will leave it til tomorrow and see . Maybe will have to do a restore to before updates.

bellababy 22:38 12 Sep 2006

I keep trying to get rid of mine as I never use it but it kees coming back like a bad penny.

skidzy 22:46 12 Sep 2006

Msn fine here version 7.5

skidzy 22:51 12 Sep 2006

Maybe a solution:

Here is the reply from the official MSN Technical Support about this error, please read carefully:

The following conditions may apply:- The MSN Messenger cache has been corrupted. - The .NET Messenger service is temporarily experiencing difficulties.

Try the following solutions in the order that they are listed:

1. The .NET Messenger service may be experiencing temporary connectivity issues. To verify the status of the .NET Messenger service, visit <click here>

2. Try to sign in again later.

3. If the issue persists, follow these steps to clear the MSN Messenger cache:
3a. If MSN Messenger is running, right-click the Messenger icon in the notification area at the far right of the taskbar, and then click "Exit."
3b. Open a Command Prompt window:

- Click "Start", click "Run", type "cmd" and then click "OK."

3c. At the command prompt, type "CD\", and then press ENTER.
3d. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

CD %appdata%\microsoft

3e. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

CD "MSN MESSENGER"

3f. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

DEL /s ListCache.dat

* Note: This command deletes all the ListCache.dat files in all subfolders. You may see a list of the files that are being deleted.

3g. At the command prompt, type "exit", and then press ENTER.
3h. Restart MSN Messenger.

4. If the issue persists, send us a connect log file.
a. If you are not already using MSN Messenger 7.0 or 7.5, install the latest version:i. Start Internet Explorer, and then visit <click here>.ii. Under "Registered MSN User," click "Go." The program is automatically downloaded. iii. Follow the instructions in the MSN Messenger Setup wizard to complete the installation. iv. Click "Finish."

b. To generate connectivity logs for MSN Messenger, follow these steps: i. Right-click the Messenger icon in the notification area at the far right of the taskbar, and then click "Exit." ii. Delete the already existing connectivity log file. a. Start MSN Messenger, but do not sign in. b. On the MSN Messenger "File" menu, click "Open Received Files." c. In the My Received Files folder, locate and select the MsnMsgr.txt file, and then press DELETE.iii. Start MSN Messenger, but do not sign in. iv. On the "Tools" menu, click "Options." v. In the "Options" dialog box, click "Connection." vi. Click "Advanced Settings," and then make sure that the "Save a log of my server connections to help troubleshoot connection problems" check box is selected in the "Connection Logging" section. vii. Close the "Options" dialog box. viii. To sign in to MSN Messenger again, click "Sign In." The new connectivity log file (MSNMsgr.txt) is automatically generated in the My Received Files folder that is described in step 4.b.ii.c.d. To send the MsnMsgr.txt log file to Messenger support, send a reply back to the support incident response, and attach the log file to the e-mail.

Taken from click here

terryf 22:58 12 Sep 2006

Tks skidzy, time for beauty sleep now, will try your suggestion tomorrow

LABMAN 23:03 12 Sep 2006

Hi terryf,

You are not alone in this problem, we have 2 desktop PC's and a laptop in the house and none of them on either of myself, my wife or my son's account would allow us on messenger yesterday, we kept getting the same error code as you over and over again.

My wife said that this had been the case all day since about 9am, I tried constantly from about 6pm - 8pm, then every 15 mins or so to almost 11pm before I finaly got on and yet the system was supposed to be stable and running, were all running windows XP home fully updated and messenger live.

terryf 23:16 12 Sep 2006

Thanks, it is nice to know that I am not alone, I tried downloading and running a batch file from click here
and clck on the "download now", also go to start, run, and put in: regsvr32 softpub.dll
but this didn't work either. Tomorrow I will try the suggeation from skidzy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?