msn hack?

TequilaSunrise 07:34 25 Jul 2008

hi i'm wondering if anyone can help me.

recently i've been playing a online game and several people who also play have had their msn's "hacked" and conversation logs stolen etc. one in particular also had her paypal details stolen.

i believe the hacker was using a program similar to back orifice.

i'm slightly worried about them getting hold of my details as i have a LOT of people on msn. i do know this guy has only been able to hack people who have added him to their msn contacts.

at present i have avg antivirus and spyware, sygate personal firewall, peerguardian ip blocker (although i have to turn it off sometimes as it blocks some websites), spybot s&d, a squared and spyware blaster. i usually save my passwords as i've always been paranoid about keyloggers, although now i'm paranoid that these passwords and usernames are sitting in a file that the hacker could access.

i'mn 99% sure my msn password is secure and as for my security question to reset it.......it is my grandfathers hobby......which no one should be able to find out as i certainly havent discussed this with even my closest friends.

basically i'm looking for either reassurance my pc is safe or advice on how i can make it so

thanks in advance guys and sorry about the long post, just wanted to give as much info as possible

djbenny 09:19 25 Jul 2008

if you areusing firefox to save your passwords also use a master password to protect them, also think about changing your password every 14 days or something but i think your pretty much safe

TequilaSunrise 11:48 25 Jul 2008

i do use firefox to save my passwords but i dont have a master password on them, can anyone advise on how to do so?

thanks for all the help and reassurance so far, its greatly appreciated

TequilaSunrise 11:57 25 Jul 2008

nevermind, set master password thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017