msn bug

julas64 18:47 27 Jan 2009

can anyone help me please!!!

I use MSN messenger alot on my other pc to talk to friends... the other day, I got a message from one of my friends saying "is this you in this picture??" followed by a link to a picture hosting website. Because it was my friend, i thought nothing of it and clicked the link. Ever since then, my system has been acting very weird... i'm getting errors popping up all over the place, constant messages telling me I have spyware... despite deleting a load of it daily. well it has gotton alot worse... I did a virus scan with mcafee and found a trojan and it told me to restart my pc, so I did, and now i cannot log back in to windows xp... i put in my password and it says "logging in" and then quickly says "logging out". I tried starting the pc in safe mode but it still wont log in and I dont know what to do. Upon reserch, I found that there is some sort of worm going around which exploits MSN and sends a fake message from your friends telling you to go to a site, which is booby trapped. My attempts at finding a fix for this have been unsuccessful and I am really worried. I have alot of important files on that pc and I really dont want to lose them.

any help would be greatly appriciated.

brundle 19:14 27 Jan 2009

Start the machine in safe mode or using Last Known Good Configuration; click here . Disconnect your machine from the internet.
On another PC, download malwarebytes antimalware ( click here ) and latest definitions ( click here ) - copy the files onto your PC, run the installer but choose not run the program immediately. Run the mbam-rules.exe file to update the definitions. Then run a full scan with antimalware. YOu can download Superantispyware and its definitions too if you'd like to scan with both. File; click here
Definitions; click here

julas64 21:37 27 Jan 2009

Ive tried to start using last known good configuration as you suggest but the same thing keeps happening, it goes straight back to the log in screen and i cant log on.

brundle 22:12 27 Jan 2009

Run a repair install; click here

birdface 23:18 27 Jan 2009

Maybe this if you can get it to run at all.click here

julas64 22:24 28 Jan 2009

Ive tried a repair install, i followed all the instructions per your link but it has not solved the problem. Its still stuck in a log on log off loop. I found a website which showed me how to make a bootable cd called BartPE, it claims to fix registry problems by offline/remote registry editing. Ive made the cd and will try this on my sons pc tomorrow. Does anyone know if this will help. I really dont know where to go from here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?