msmsgs.exe - Unable To Locate Component

arrow 10:49 08 Jan 2009

I run Windows XP home with Norton I.S.2008 and Spybot Search & Destroy, (both run daily and regularly updated), and C Cleaner weekly. Last week the HP Scanner icon disappeared from the desktop, and also from the programmes. I re-installed the software and restored function, since when each time I enter my password on booting up I get the above message, followed by "This application has failed to start because gdiplus.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem. OK"
I click OK, the window disappears, and all appears normal, until I open my Calendar on MS Works, and find it completely blank, past, present and future. Please HELP. Arrow.

Technotiger 11:09 08 Jan 2009

I think your problem amy be solved by running click here

arrow 14:32 08 Jan 2009

Technotiger. Many thanks for your help. I did as you suggested and ran a full scan, which failed to find any malicious items, and the problem still exists. What do I do next please? Arrow.

Technotiger 20:50 08 Jan 2009

Hmm, there seems to be many reasons for this message, perhaps if you have a look among this lot, you might find a solution.

Or - you could try a System Restore back to before this message first appeared.

brundle 20:55 08 Jan 2009

Run a system file check. click here. Have your XP CD handy.

Run a disk check; click here

arrow 11:19 12 Jan 2009

Hello technotiger and brundle,
Thank you both for your patience. I create a new restore point every Sunday, and have gone back as far as early Nov, but it says there have been no changes!! However, when I tried to make a new entry in the calendar this am, it did nothing, but when I entered it again it accepted it, and the entire calendar came back, much to my delight. However, I still get the same message after typing in my password on boot up. However, I also have Acronis true image back up from Nov. (I think), but I assume it would be necessary to wipe clean the hard drive before re-installing, and I don't know how, or if it is worth the trouble just to get rid of the window on bootup which goes away by clicking OK. Please advise a computer dinosaur. Many thanks, Arrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone