msimg32.dll

dvdcllns 08:31 09 Mar 2010

I've recently been involved in a virus scare on a corporate network where the file msimg32.dll was erased when the log in protocol was run, i.e. when the machine was rebooted. After reboot a message box informed that a file had been modified, accept or deny etc. Restore was unavailable, add + remove programs was also unavailable. Likewise, it was not possible to run any anti-virus scans. The left info pane in Control Panel had a black background rather than the usual shade of blue.
I don't need a solution, it's fixed, but any ideas just which particular nasty was responsible for it? When fixing the problem the ID of the culprit wasn't obvious.

Graphicool1 09:29 09 Mar 2010

It's highly unlikely that you will get a definitive answer to this question. All you can do is install software to protect the system generally, against many - if not all - attacks. I use...

AVAST Anti-Virus....(Free)
Spyware Terminator..(Free)
Ashampoo Firewall...(Free)

Being a business, although you can still have the second two free. You would have pay for 'Avast'.

They do it for me and have been for a few years now. However no-one can afford to be complacent. You still have to keep you finger on the pulse. If it skips a beat, move fast and take immediate action!

dvdcllns 09:35 09 Mar 2010

Thanks Graphicool1
A couple of machines were 'rescued' before a reboot using Sophos.
I just wondered if anyone else had come across this particular file erasure problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?