msiexec problem

Jonah(without the whale) 16:41 22 Sep 2007

Help please.
On trying to update my JAVA environment (so that I can use the BT Vault service)all goes well until the software tries to install and the system stops with a windows message saying MSIEXEC.EXE has encountred a problem and has to such down.
Any idea what this problem might be?
If I report the problem I get details that the AppVer is 3.1.4000.1823
Can I download a corrected MSIEXEC.EXE - I knoq it's an installer, but that's about it.
Cheers

VoG II 16:48 22 Sep 2007
  Jonah(without the whale) 16:23 23 Sep 2007

Thanks for the link
I went to where you directed, downloaded WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe, restarted the machine and then tried to download the JAVA environ,ent - and still the same problem.
By the way, while I saw all the completio messages and the installaetion went OK, I have searched and cannot finsd anythign with KB893803 in it on the machine.
Am I missing something?
Cheers

brundle 16:30 23 Sep 2007

Check it's installed by going to start menu/run, type

msiexec

press return

You should see a box full of text pop up; Windows ® Installer. V 3.01.4000.1823

brundle 16:32 23 Sep 2007

Are you doing an update of Java or a full clean download, have you removed old versions of Java?
Get Java here; click here

Close your browser and use Add/Remove Programs to remove old Java versions

Run the MSI clean up utility click here after doing so

Reboot, install the Java you just downloaded

Jonah(without the whale) 17:31 23 Sep 2007

thanks brindle. I dislayed msiexec as you described. However, I went to the first link you provided and tried to download JAVA - I got the msiexec problem - encountered an error, must close down.
I've looked about a bit - could it be a repair of Windows XP could solve the problem? I don't really want to do this, but it seems I'm fighting a losing battle.

Jonah(without the whale) 18:06 23 Sep 2007

Sorry Brundle, I could have got your name right.
My apologies.

brundle 18:14 23 Sep 2007

No problem. You can try System File Check, then Dial-A-Fix which has some Windows Installer related fixes, then an in-place repair if that doesn't help.

SFC click here
DialAFix click here
In-place repair click here

Jonah(without the whale) 18:39 23 Sep 2007

Hi Brundle

I'll have a go at what you have suggested - I have quickly tried scannow and got the expected problems. I have to stop right now, but I'll be back sonnest - thanks for your help.
Cheers

Jonah(without the whale) 21:12 25 Oct 2007

Thanks guys.

I repaied XP and reloaded SP2 and all uopdates and the machine is now working better than ever.
Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017