Is MSI Live Update necessary?

brigger 20:22 22 Mar 2005

MSI Live Update 3 downloaded but failed to install an ATI driver. Could I just try another site?

The error was 'not found on MSI database' (possibly not the exact wording), after some errors finishing with 'err=0'.

The driver downloaded into a folder called 'ATI v6476 (MSI Version). The current driver on my PC is ati2dvag.dll version 6.14.10.6505 (according to System Information / Components / Display).

Is the downloaded driver the right one?

I turned off Avast, and as it was the first time that the PC was connected to the internet, I doubt if any malware could be the cause.

I assume I have an MSI card, as a couple of MSI manuals came with the PC, but I don't know if I need to update for the card or just update for the ATI chipset.

My PC is a custom build Shuttle SB81P XPC with -
Video/Graphics Card: Radeon X800 Pro 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E VIVO VGA /DVI/TV.
Internet connection: dial-up
Processor: Intel Pentium IV.

Also, Active-X has 'prompt user' setting, I allowed the cookie, and I installed the latest MSI Live Update version.

Thanks for any advice

User-312386 20:41 22 Mar 2005

You need tp update the Graphics card driver from click here

brigger 04:46 23 Mar 2005

I never knew that. On ATI's knowledgebase it says (under Radeon, Catalyst):
Installing a new driver is only recommended if you are having issues with your ATI product.

I thought drivers got updated to improve performance. Is that the end of it, or is there anything else I should update for improved performance?

georgemac © 06:22 23 Mar 2005

don't know why you are using msi live update? I would only use this if I had an msi motherboard

I would download and install these drivers click here

brigger 06:55 23 Mar 2005

and that's where there say only update if there's problems. I thought everyone updated all the time for better performance. Do you think ATI are wrong? I don't really have a problem, I was just hoping to up the anti-aliasing a bit on Rome Total War.

I only used MSI Update because the manufacturers installed it and I thought maybe they knew what they were doing, but I've gone off it now.

Thanks for the reply, I put a similar question on the MSI forum and got zilch.

great1 07:07 23 Mar 2005

try doing a windows update thats where i got my ati driver update

brigger 22:36 23 Mar 2005

I'll try that later, I think .6505 which I have now is the latest one.

For any newbies, the best info about drivers I've found is at driverguide.com

Thanks to all you replied

lisa02 23:23 23 Mar 2005

if it ain't broke don't fix it!

:p

georgemac © 06:57 24 Mar 2005

sorry - never answered your question - I update my drivers all the time - new drivers are released because they have improved the old ones. I only use manufacturer released drivers.

If you are concerned just create a restore point before you install the new ones.

I would happliy downlaod drivers from the ATI site if I had an ati card - I use nvidea

User-312386 07:26 24 Mar 2005

I agree with the analogy that "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

However, with regards to drivers they update them so your system can be more stable with windows. I always uninstall the driver then use click here Driver Cleaner Professional Edition in safe mode.

I have an Nvidia main board and an ATI Graphics card. So i check for driver updates from the manufacturer all the time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone