MSI Live update for BIOS

Mark10 19:40 23 Jun 2005

Hello all,
I have an old P11 350Mhz computer, XP home SP2, with an MSI 6156 motherboard. The BIOS is dated at 15/07/95. Thats 10 years old. I have installed the MSI live update from MSI's site and updated everything but the BIOS. I must admit to being a little reluctant to update the BIOS as everything is running fine. Is it a case of "if it aint broke don't fix it" or does anyone in PCA land use live update reqularly and find it works ok? A 10 year old BIOS must be holding things back do you think?

Thanks for your views

mattyc_92 19:42 23 Jun 2005

If there isn't a problem, then just leave it.... Having said this, it could be good to update the BIOS for better performance (if any)

Noelg23 22:05 23 Jun 2005

First thing I would do (which I do anyway) is create a restore point, do the live update and if the system crashes on you then restore back to before otherwise it should be fine...I havent done an update for 2 months now but that cos I dont need it right now...

Belatucadrus 22:13 23 Jun 2005

If the system crashes on you when flashing the BIOS, chances of restoring the system close to zero. As a fouled up BIOS update can kill a PC fairly effectively, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" definitely applies .

woodchip 22:15 23 Jun 2005

Leave it the Computers old you will not see any difference. Only maybe a dead Comp

Mark10 13:47 26 Jun 2005

Thanks all, as everything is working fine I think I'll leave well alone. Thanks for your views.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?