MSE update problem

Number six 22:36 04 Jul 2010

There is apparently a known problem with Microsoft Security Essentials failing to update since installation of program update package KB2254596.
click here
I update definitions manually every day. First attempt always fails with message about internet connection failure. Second attempt works OK. My internet connection is definitely fine.

gengiscant 11:28 05 Jul 2010

There are plenty of free alternatives out there,I had nothing but problems with MSE, what with one thing and another.
Even installing it was a pain, but I have finally done so and now use Avira.
My wifes PC also had problems updating MSE, so she is now using AVG.
My advice if you are having issues with it,dump it and use something else.

mimosa418 14:41 05 Jul 2010

I am having no problem on my Win7 laptop after the KB2254596 update but I notice that immediately following its installation there was an update to Net Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB982526).
Is this connected and perhaps missing from those having problems.

onthelimit 15:04 05 Jul 2010

Had no probs at all with XP and MSE.

Number six 21:51 07 Jul 2010

Have a read of the last few posts here click here
Seems Ccleaner(or similar cleanup program) may be deleting some needed files in %windir%\temp

john 52 09:05 08 Jul 2010

Problem free on XP !!but I did have a failed update on one update and as been suggested it was after a clean up with Ccleaner

Number six 22:02 08 Jul 2010

Assuming that Ccleaner is indeed deleting necessary files in Windows/temp (and there still seems to be some doubt), I am surprised that
1) this problem has not been more widely reported, as many people use Ccleaner and MSE together, and
2) as suggested in the <click here> above, I find it very surprising that MS would place inportant files in a temp folder where they could easily be deleted.

Number six 22:14 09 Jul 2010

To anyone experiencing this problem (first attempt at definitions update fails, second works OK) the temporary workaround is to configure CCleaner to not delete anything in your Windows/temp folder. The MSE technical team are supposed to be working on a fix, but don't hold your breath!

Number six 00:19 18 Jul 2010

with release of engine 1.1.6004.0 on friday 16th july.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone