+++ MSE problem ++++

pcdimwit 22:05 13 Sep 2010

hi I am running my acer lapop with microsoft secuirty essentials and I am suddenly gettting lots of pop ups from MSE saying potential secuirty threat, and to clear computer, I have been doing this but find that alot of my photos in folders have been deleted, I have run Antimalwarebytes and Super anti-spyware programme (not connected to internet but it has not come up with anything, only adware tracking cookies on the antispyware programme, when the MSE warning comes up it says that the infected file is in C drive somewhere as "exe" and shows as a bot worm (???) - can anyone think what this is??? I am in Holland and using a vista acer laptop thanks P
CDIMWIT

birdface 23:54 13 Sep 2010

Hi did you download it from Microsoft or another vendor and have you used it for very long as there is a rogue MSE out there.

click here

Try running Hitman Pro see if it finds anything.

click here

Update the rest of your security programs and run them in safe mode Hitman pro will not work in safe mode.

pcdimwit 01:05 14 Sep 2010

I think my MSE download is OK- I downloaded it from someone here and it came form that filehippo site I think, when I was advised to only run MSE and not use lots of different anti-virus scannere, I have run a full scan with antimalwarebytes and it has found nothing and on re-starting and logging on it "seems" to be OK now, it is very funny how it was keep popping up with these warnings about a potential threat. Will try the Htman pro and run it tomorrow. thanks PC DIMWIT

pcdimwit 02:00 14 Sep 2010

I have just downloaded the HitManPro programe (I thought it would just sit on the desktop icon till I opend it, but it started straight away and did this check, it foudn IMMEDIATELY $ photo infected files of the MSE type description!!! and at the end of the 2.30 minute scan I just cleared them and hopefully now its all fine, So thanks alot for that, so good to know there is an EXPERT there when I am all alone and dont have a CLUE what to do!!! After the Hitman programme it advised me to do a Registry check with a prog. called UniBlue registry booster, - I did this and it came out that my registry was at DIRE state of infection, but you only get a free option to clear 15 items and they said there was about 450!! so I cleared the 15 and then when to my CCleaner programme and did the registery and the Cleaner scans and they all went OK so have left it at that. Please God!!! this is all clear now!!! Thanks PCDIMWIT!!

birdface 07:21 14 Sep 2010

Just delete Uniblue C Cleaner is fine.
Hitman Pro if activated will only last for 30 days then you have to pay or remove.
I am not that keen in paying for programs when you can sometimes find something just as good free.
If downloaded from FileHippo it should be fine.

pcdimwit 10:04 14 Sep 2010

Hi Buteman,
Have just logged on and the Uniblue came up on the start up screen as "Uniblue components B.V" even before the acer start-up and the windows icon and melody starts!!!Have only just seen your message about removing Uniblue, like you I dont like to pay for these progs, but I assume because I am in Holland (B.V. is a limited company in NL) it shows the company licensed to run this prog in which country you are in. Anyway it started the scan again and had that 248 "red alert" but then wants you to pay for the registration to clear them, so I uninstalled the entire programme, I havent noticed yet if any of the photo's that were infected (4 of them) found on the Hitman Pro. programme - are actually missing. Will let you know. Thanks PCDIMWIT

pcdimwit 10:07 14 Sep 2010

PS: as the Hitman prog. expires after 30 days, will I be able to go back to the link you sent and run it again in case I get this sort of thing happening again?? or will it recognise my I.P. address and not allow it to be installed? thanks PCDMIWIT

birdface 11:32 14 Sep 2010

It will probably recognise your IP address.
Maybe try this one the next time you get a 30 day trial and it will remove anything that it finds.
If it asks for payment ignore it and carry on with your scan.

click here

That should cover you for the next 2 months at least.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone