MSE

thumbscrew 23:28 26 Mar 2010

I've just installed Microsoft Security Essentials and I only wish I'd done it several weeks ago, after Avira Popups and Avast latest, messed up my overburdened machine and my overstressed brain! However, I also use...Spybot...Superantispyware and Malwarebytes and I'm reluctant to uninstall them.....should I?

rdave13 00:04 27 Mar 2010

No.
Only use MSE on XP dual booting with Win 7.
On Win 7 Avast Home is excellent. Version 5 is a good improvement to 4.8.
If ever you try new AV's or firewalls, check search engines for specific removal tools, if they have any then use them. As for Avira then Revo will rid of it.
Worst antivirus I've ever tried. Updating is seriously flawed.

peugeot man 07:29 27 Mar 2010

Everyone will have a different experience and suggestion. Personally I removed all security apart from MSE and Windows Firewall, this is the best thing I have done, my system is now faster and more stable.

thumbscrew 08:39 27 Mar 2010

Thanks both, re MSE I've noticed a setting that sends information to Microsoft about stuff on your computer. It adds that certain personal information may also be sent. Sounds a bit sinister, anyone know anything about it?

birdface 09:12 27 Mar 2010

You could remove Spybot as you have Superantispyware and Malwarebytes.

birdface 09:19 27 Mar 2010

[I removed all security apart from MSE and Windows Firewall, this is the best thing I have done, my system is now faster and more stable.]
Of course it will be faster but it will be less secure.
I suppose it is a choice you make faster or less secure.
All you need to do is go into one bad site to get infected.
Like I have said many a time there is not any 1 security program that will keep your computer safe.
If there was it would cost a fortune and I don't think they would give it away free.

Blackadderthe4th 12:25 27 Mar 2010

[I removed all security apart from MSE and Windows Firewall, this is the best thing I have done, my system is now faster and more stable.] Well so have I, in the last hour because I suspect Zonealarm was causing problems, somehow! But I still have A squared, so it's a case of suck and see!

birdface 14:44 27 Mar 2010

You would need the pay for A Squared Anti-malware program.
That gives you full time protection and the free one doesn't.But like I said not sure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache