MSConfig & help & Support not found in 'RUN'

Detritor 16:08 12 Mar 2009

MSConfig is not found in run. Am told to open Help and Support from 'Start' but this tells me that a system service is not running. MSconfig.exe is found 4 times with 'Search' and they all open the configuration utility from the search dialogue.
Where should the file be located? How do I get it back there? Two of the msconfig.exe files are in blue text. What does this mean?
Where has 'help and support' gone and how do I get it back?

BurrWalnut 16:22 12 Mar 2009

Presumably XP?

Try these for Help & Support:

1. Start > Run, type services.msc and press Enter. Scroll down to Help and Support and double-click it. Click the Start button in the dialog box and change the Startup type to Automatic.

2. Click Start > Run, type regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx (note the space) and press Enter.

ened 16:29 12 Mar 2009

Can you run the System File Checker?

sfc /scannow

Pamy 16:33 12 Mar 2009

What do you mean when you say maconfig is not found in Run? You have to type it in.

Who has told you to open help and support from run?

Why do you want them, whats your problem?

Detritor 17:55 12 Mar 2009

Many thanks, Pamy, ened and BurrWalnut. No luck I'm afraid.
Pamy - I did type it in and the message told me to try Help & Support but that couldn't be found either.
ened - Yes I have just run the system file checker and it made no difference.
BurrWalnut - Yes XP.
Tried services.msc but 'Help and Support' is not in the list of services. regsvr32 seemed to have no effect

brundle 18:05 12 Mar 2009

click here

MSConfig should be in Windows\System32. Try this download - click here

Stuartli 18:09 12 Mar 2009

Once you have typed items such as msconfig, services.msc, sfc /scannow etc into Run, it will establish a drop down menu of each item.

You can then select which service is required using the menu arrow and click on OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017