Msconfig Error Administrator Access Required

plusman 12:21 20 Jan 2007

My main PC has 1 account with administrator privelege (aside from the guest account that I never use). On boot-up it goes straight into my administrator account.

This morning I tried to make some changes to my Startup using msconfig. When I tried to apply or save the changes I get the following error:
"An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changed".

I am logging on as an administrator and previously (some weeks ago) I was able to make changes using msconfig without problem.
My XP Home is up to date and I have run the following to check for and remove any adware/spyware/viruses:
* SpyBot
* SuperAnti-Spyware
* Windows Defender
and Norton Internet Security 2006 is always running.

None of these programmes showed found anything unusual, and any spyware that they found has been deleted.

Any suggestions as to how I can regain access to msconfig?
Thanks in advance for your help.

rawprawn 14:02 20 Jan 2007

Try in Safe Mode (Keep tapping F8 when booting for Safe Mode)

LimestoneRock 14:47 20 Jan 2007

If you are running any HP software see click here #19. This cured the same problem for me this morning. Otherwise try these:
click here

Halmer 17:21 20 Jan 2007

Thanks

You've just cured it for me ta.

plusman 10:31 21 Jan 2007

LimestoneRock - thanks for the suggestion; it seems to work.

However I've also found out the following:

* If I make changes to startup using msconfig, even though a message flashes up saying that I need an administrator account, the changes are still made - it seems to be just the annoying error message that comes up.
* The HP printer solution (which I'm repeating below for anybody who needs it) is:
- run regedit
- Go to HKEY_Local_Machine
- Go to System
- Go to ControlSet (or in my case ControlSet001 and ControlSet003)
- Scroll down to PmlDriver_HPZ12
- Right-click and modify the Start DWORD from 2 (automatic) to 4 (disable).

This seems to disable the warning message.

HOWEVER - on my other PC, also running XP Home and with a similar software suite, and which should have the same set of updates as my main PC, and which is connected to the same printers (I have a HP LaserJet 4100 and an OfficeJet 6310), I do not get the error when I try and change startup items with msconfig and it has the DWORD in PmlDriver_HPZ12 set to 2! Curious!

Also this problem with the msconfig error only seems to have started recently (I've found quite a few posts on other forums starting earlier this month from people with the same problem - at the moment the only solution seems to be changing the PmlDriver_HPZ12 DWORD from 2 to 4). It will be interesting to see if another solution turns up, or what teh real problem has been.

Interestingly in the past few days I have been receiving a lot of SPAM on my main PC which Norton Internet Security has been detecting as containing malware (which is unusual, normally it just detects it as SPAM without malware - they like returned messages labelled "undelivered" or "undeliverable") - I don;t know if this is linked or not; but scans of my PC's (using Norton Internet Security, Super AntiSpyware, Windows Defender and Spybot) show it to be clean. Probably just a coincidence?

Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?