msconfig advice please

Enoch 11:21 24 Oct 2006

Is there any general rule-of-thumb advice regarding "msconfig" and the ticking or not of the list of "Startup" items. I would like to know before attempting to change anything

VoG II 12:02 24 Oct 2006

Using msconfig click here

Startup programs click here

Enoch 20:17 24 Oct 2006

^

VoG II 20:21 24 Oct 2006

I don't understand what you want. Can you be more specific?

ed-0 20:27 24 Oct 2006

If you are using XP, then you can disable everything and reboot.

It is always worth leaving your antivirus package active ( keep ticked ) and if you use a separate firewall, this also.

If you use windows firewall, as I do. I just have my AVG ticked to start up with Windows.

anskyber 20:35 24 Oct 2006

Generally, once into the start up part as VoG™'s links suggest DO NOT delete anything or stop something starting from the start up unless you understand completely what it does if that is what you mean.

On the whole unless you know you have a lot of programs on start up it should not be a problem, but some sneak in so it could slow things up. Are there start ups you are unsure about? Do you want to post here for a view?

Enoch 07:32 25 Oct 2006

anskyber----Hopefully herewith are the 5 screenshots of my "msconfig startup" as requested

VoG----I am trying to reduce the amount of programmes which commence at startup

Ed-0----I am on XPhome and IE7

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

VoG II 08:38 25 Oct 2006

You need to work your way through click here and decide which ones you can untick.

birdface 08:49 25 Oct 2006

My God,Never seen so many programs on Start up before,Must have taken ages for your computer to start, I have 6 on mine,Sorry I cant help you with this problem,But I dont think it will take long for someone to fix it,Will leave it for the experts.

ed-0 09:11 25 Oct 2006

Just un-tick the WHOLE lot and reboot. You will get a warning when you reboot, just put a tick in " don't show this message again "

You should then go to your anti virus and set it running again.

Check how long it takes to boot before you do the above and also what esourses are used in task manager.

Then check after you have rebooted twice.

You don't need any of the above to start with windows, apart from AV and firewall.

buteman

I have one program loaded on start up. AVG.

birdface 09:20 25 Oct 2006

Well there you are, you have your answer,Yes I know 2 of mine,Anti-Virus + Firewall, Not to sure about the other 4.But dont seem to be doing any harm, So will stick with them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone