MSCONFIG Administrator Access

cowgirl66 19:45 07 May 2007

Every time I go into Run > Msconfig > Startup and change the tick status of an application, I get this message headed, "System Configuration."

"An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to logon as ad Administrator account to make the specified changes."

Although I get this message I am allowed to make the change and the computer will restart with changes made. So why the message?

have you got a HP printer or other hp product?

cowgirl66 19:52 07 May 2007

Hello Raven,

Yes I have, a Hewlitt Packard Photosmart C3180 PSC.

SANTOS7 19:53 07 May 2007

click here

similar HP printer issue here,follow thread it may help

hi try this
click here

cowgirl66 20:08 07 May 2007

Santos, I don't have that model of HP PSC. As I said, I have the Photosmart C3180.

Hi did you try this...
The HP printer solution (which I'm repeating below for anybody who needs it) is:
- run regedit
- Go to HKEY_Local_Machine
- Go to System
- Go to ControlSet (or in my case ControlSet001 and ControlSet003)
- Scroll down to PmlDriver_HPZ12
- Right-click and modify the Start DWORD from 2 (automatic) to 4 (disable).
ive got the f380 it worked for me

cowgirl66 21:00 07 May 2007

Hi again, Raven,

I went into Registry where you directed me but all I found in ControlSet001 and ControlSet003 were,

+Control
+Enum
+Hardware Profile
+Services

but no driver number. Shouldn't I click on one of the above first?

have a look in control,sorry cant verify that as im at work on laptop,which hasnt got my printer installed.

Halmer 21:40 07 May 2007

Run RegEdit.
Under /HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/PML Driver HPZ12, click on Start at the right, and then change the Dword value from 2 (automatic) or 3 (I believe for manual) to 4 (for disabled).

cowgirl66 09:16 08 May 2007

Raven, I looked under

-HKEY Local Machine
-System
-ControlSet 001 and 003

then

-Control as you suggested but there was no PML Driver HPZ12 in there; however there is under Services.

Could this be the place you meant?

Halmer, I followed your instructions too and change the value to '4' , restarted the computer and tried in msconfig startup again.

But still the same thing happens. I click on a startup item to change the tick, any item that is for experiment's sake, put the tick back in again and only when I click on apply do I get the Administrator error message. Yet still I'm allowed to make the changes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?