msconfig

ternard 00:57 07 Oct 2004

If I type this is in the search box,
there is a button which says 'clean up'
What does this do?
I am cautious about clicking it.

Danoh 01:56 07 Oct 2004

This MS Knowledge base article may give you an intro click here;en-us;310560

But you are certainly wise to be cautious in using a utility program if you are uncertain of what clicking on functions/buttons will do.

Is there a problem with your PC that you are looking to get fixed? If not, maybe best to think "if it ain't broke.... "

Danoh 01:59 07 Oct 2004

I also get this wrong.
Try copy'n'paste the URL below into the Address box of your browser, remove the spaces and hit enter to get the link to work

http: //support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560

Djohn 02:16 07 Oct 2004

Is correct, you should be careful of using commands if your not sure of what they mean.

msconfig is a command that you type in the "Run" box, not the "Search" box and will give you access to certain parts of your system.

It is quite safe to type this in the "Run" box and look at the dialogue box that comes on screen but do not alter anything at all or you may end up with a PC that will not boot.

In the box that comes up you will see 6 tabs, click on each one to display the contents but again don't touch or alter anything unless you know for certain what your doing. The 6th. tab is your start-up folder from which you can remove programs that load automatically when the PC boots.

You can remove items from this list if not required to start automatically then start them from a shortcut on your desktop when you require them.

If you are having a problem then best to post the problem here and someone will advise and guide you on what steps to take.

Jeff-189932 05:59 07 Oct 2004

I agree with Djohn about using msconfig.

The "Startup" tab can be useful for stopping unnecessary programs from starting up every time you switch on the machine - very often when you install any new software it sets itself up to start up automatically, which is just likely to slow down the programs that you DO need to be running.

The other tabs in msconfig are best left alone -- though experienced users may be able to use them to sort out various problems.

The only place I have come across a "Clean Up" button (so far) is in the "Disk Cleanup" facility, which can be used to get rid of various files which are no longer needed by any programs on the PC, and are just taking up unnecessary space on the hard disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?