MS-word spell checker gone haywire

RobbieNood 17:10 23 Feb 2012

I've used MS word for many years and am currently on v2010. For some reason the spell checker has recently gone haywire. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that it didn't work on a certain letter. I checked with other archived letters and it seemed to be alright. It looked like it might have been just oin the odd letter, but today I see that its far from a simple 'not installed', as it checks my post-code & odd address,,, but not other words on the same sheet. I have purposely mis-spelt words, but it dosn't pick up on them. It dosn't show the red underscore when typing, and it dosn't pick them up when pressing F7. I've checked the language and things and all seems well. It all worked well enough untill recently.

northumbria61 21:08 23 Feb 2012

Go to Control Panel - Programs & Features - Microsoft Word - highlight MS Word - select change at top and then Repair from the 3 options.

Sea Urchin 22:30 23 Feb 2012

A couple of sites to look at

Spell check solutions

Spell check woes

RobbieNood 09:09 24 Feb 2012

Thank you for the information. I didn't know that those fixes were there ! I've now done all that but it dosn't help. The strange this is that the checker picks up a couple of words, but not all. I have purposely mis-spelt a few words to see what happens. For example I mis-spelt account (acount) and balance (balunce). The checker picked up acount but not balunce.

My previous archived letters and things are still workable. If I open an older letter & mis-spell something, it immediately picks up on it.

It looks like either I've done something (by accident) or something crept in. It was perfect until a few weeks ago.

northumbria61 10:20 24 Feb 2012

Just a thought - It could possibly be from a MS Word update in which case it could be difficult to find or fix. Do you have the MS Office install disk and did you try a repair option?

RobbieNood 11:39 24 Feb 2012

I'm not sure if I still have the disk, or whether I ever had it. It was already on the computer when I bought it. I did have a couple of disks so will look for them. I did try the repair option at some point.

I have written 2 rather long letters today and everything was alright. If I open the one from the other day, it still has problems !

I don't think the problem lies with MS-Office its-self, otherwise everything would all be wrong. It doesn’t seem 'intermittent' in the usual sense. Sometimes a sheet goes well, sometimes it doesn’t. If it does go well at the outset, whenever I open it subsequently, it is still alright.
If a sheet gets the wobbles at the outset, whenever I open it subsequently, it still has the wobbles. The page before that could be fine and the page after that could be fine.

Woolwell 11:43 24 Feb 2012

Are you accidentally using a custom dictionary? MS Support

RobbieNood 12:17 24 Feb 2012

I don't see how. One minute its fine, & the next minute its haywire.

When following other links on this thread, it all looks o.k - apart from one says enable EN-US dictionary. My machine is set up for English (UK) by default.

northumbria61 14:43 24 Feb 2012

woolwell - Are you accidentally using a custom dictionary?

I am not sure if that would make any difference. I am using 2007 and I have Custom Dictionary by default - ie: MS Word - Home - Word Options - Proofing - Custome Dictonaries - in Dictionary List is Custom.DIC (default) which allows editing/deleting of words etc. - then All Languages selected in box at bottom.

It sure is s strange one this - erratic I would say.

RobbieNood I still think the best way would be to do a repair or reinstall if you can find those disks. But don't rush into it just yet in case someone comes up with another suggestion.

northumbria61 14:48 24 Feb 2012

RobbieNood - take a look here - you may want to try it enter link description here

Woolwell 16:27 24 Feb 2012

As it is erratic then I think that my post about the dictionary could well be a red herring. Although as a long shot you try ticking the box "suggest from main dictionary only" and see if the problem is still there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?