ms word slow toopen

bert52a 19:33 05 Feb 2007

When I open Ms Word it takes about half a minute to open.If I close it completely and then reopen it, it opens almost instantly.
When I use other pcs Word seems to open as quickly as mine at the second attempt.
Is there anything I can do about this slow speed.
Windows XP Home
30 gig hd
Ram 256
I've defragged recently and cleaned registry with xp medic and other programs seem to be running fine- at normal speed.

woodchip 19:36 05 Feb 2007

Start From Run, type MSCONFIG go to startup tab remove all ticks for MS Office like fast find. It will still work when you want it but it will not start at boot.

Technotiger 19:40 05 Feb 2007

Hi, I am not an expert on Word, or anything else for that matter, but, my Word used to behave similarly - until I noticed that at the bottom there was a message saying something like 'checking the page for viruses' or something like that, can't remember exact wording. I manage to stop that happening, then Word did open quicker. Sorry, getting a bit old, I can't remember details.

SANTOS7 19:41 05 Feb 2007

click here
this may help,good luck..

woodchip 19:43 05 Feb 2007

That's because Word uses Macro's all the time

Diodorus Siculus 19:53 05 Feb 2007

1 - do you use Norton Anti-Virus? If so, turn off Office integration.

2 - search for and delete a file called normal.dot - this is the global template MSWord uses. It may be that it is corrupt.

SANTOS7 19:55 05 Feb 2007

Rings a bell, if you cannot remove normal.dot rename it normal.old, restart your PC...

bert52a 20:23 05 Feb 2007

you are all brilliant
it was the normal.dot
thanks for the laugh technotiger- i can only remember details

Technotiger 20:27 05 Feb 2007

Cheers Friend - I'm still none the wiser - but I plod along :-)

BoGnan 10:52 28 Jun 2007

i got same problem, word opening after 3minutes, navw32.exe....runs on back which delays opening word...and doc file. can anyone help

Technotiger 13:56 28 Jun 2007

You should open your own thread - this one was closed months ago.

I have never used Norton but I would guess that you should have the option to stop the program checking for virus' every time you open Word.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?