MS Word - setting Autotext for header and footer?

br1anstorm 19:09 07 Feb 2008

In MS Word, clicking on "view headers and footers" brings up a toolbar window with various options for inserting and editing headers and footers (page numbers, dates etc).

On the toolbar there is an Autotext dropdown box with (usually) a number of options - page, date, created by, filename, pathname etc.

But in my colleague's computer, that Autotext dropdown only offers 'page number'. She seems to have lost or deleted the other Autotext options. She needs to insert filename/pathname into her documents. How can she reinstate that and the other Autotext options in that Header/Footer toolbar?

VoG II 19:15 07 Feb 2008

In the header try Insert > Field.

Woolwell 19:51 07 Feb 2008

Which version of Word?

Is this on a networked computer? If so it maybe it is because her template has been changed/or changed location. If networked she needs to speak to her system administrator.

If the normal template is on her computer then deleting normal.dot and restarting may cure the snag.

br1anstorm 17:25 12 Feb 2008

Thanks to both for replies. We're talking about Word 2003. The computer is indeed networked... but I'm not sure if her system administrator knows what to do or where to look to solve this.

It looks as if someone has created additional autotexts (a selection of "boilerplate" phrases) and that these have replaced most of the original default Autotext options in the Header and Footer toolbar dropdown box - like Date, Filename, Created By, page X of Y, etc.

Where is normal.dot usually stored? Will deleting and restarting generate a new normal.dot?

VoG II 17:29 12 Feb 2008

If you delete normal.dot then Word will create a new one the next time it starts.

To find it you will need to search for hidden files. Click Start, click Search, click All files and folders, and then click More advanced options. Click to select the Search hidden files and folders check boxes.

I havent followed this properly I dont think. I have created some autotext entries but they are not available when I try to select them in Headers & Footers. What do I need to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?