MS Word forumula(?) in table cell

Gary Wood 23:28 18 Sep 2009

I am creating a template document in Word to be used by colleagues to generate printed forms.

The printed forms have a barcode at the top, which is entered as numbers and letters set in a barcode font. The code represented by the barcode is shown in normal alphanumeric characters below the barcode.

I'm looking for a formula that I can put in the barcode table cell and set in the barcode font so that when someone changes the code number in the alphanumeric cell, the barcode will be the same code.

In Excel I could do this by putting = CODE_CELL_REF> in the barcode box. Can I achieve the same thing in Word?

Thanks,

Gary

OTT_Buzzard 02:17 19 Sep 2009

The link below isn't an answer to your question, but it should form a basis to the final answer.

I don't quite understand about your explanation on how you would do it in Excel. It looks like you're using a custom function. I would expect that Word would require something similar.

click here

Gary Wood 02:26 19 Sep 2009

Thanks, OTT_Buzzard.

I'll have a look at this tomorrow when I'm less tired.

What I meant about Excel is as follows. Suppose the code I want in the barcode is 1X2Y3Z. I enter this into cell A1, in a "normal" font so it's readable to humans. I then want the barcode in cell A2, so I click in that cell, set the font to be the barcode font, and then in the cell, enter the formula "=A1". The code entered into cell A1 then appears as the barcode in cell A2. When anyone wants to change the code, they can change cell A1 and the barcode will update accordingly.

I need to achieve the same thing with Word, either by having a formula, or using a form field.

Thanks,

Gary

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?