MS Word - Doc1 has text already

oldbeefer2 12:37 08 Mar 2008

Friend of mine running Word 2000. When opening Word, doc 1 loads with an old letter rather than a blank screen. I can't work out what she's done or how to correct it - any ideas gratefully received!

howard64 12:40 08 Mar 2008

your normal.dot has become corrupted. Search for normal.dot and rename it normal.old or something. Then start word and it will install a new normal.dot which should be fine. You will loose all personal settings but you can redo these. If this does not cure it you can rename the new normal.dot and rename the old one.

oldbeefer2 12:42 08 Mar 2008

Blimey that was quick! Many thanks - I'll get her to try it tonight and tick resolved.

oldbeefer2 11:54 16 Mar 2008

long delay - illness. Tried your solution - was unable to rename 'normal' - said it was being used by another programme or person. no other progs open and only one user! Any thoughts please?

MAJ 12:02 16 Mar 2008

Do a search for and delete all instances of Normal.dot on the hard drive, making sure Word is closed, or even better, do it in Safe Mode. A new Normal.dot file will be created when Word is re-opened.

oldbeefer2 12:13 16 Mar 2008

thanks MAJ - I'll try next time I'm there.

oldbeefer2 15:46 16 Mar 2008

Worked in safe mode - thanks for help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?