MS Word - difficulty opening

onthelimit1 17:42 11 Oct 2013
Answered

Vista laptop. It had a trial (and expired) version of Office 2007 and also Office XP. I've uninstalled both and loaded a spare copy of Office 2003 Pro.

If I click any existing Word document it opens fine. If I click Word within the Office folder, it partially opens, but with no toolsbars, freezes then shuts itself down. I tried a repair from Progs and Features. It's not a show stopper, but I'm intrigued as to what may be wrong.

lotvic 19:01 11 Oct 2013

Only thing I can think of is a corrupt Normal.dot

onthelimit1 07:30 12 Oct 2013

Thanks Lotvic - tried that and no change. Same thing happens with Excell and Powerpoint!

Pine Man 10:40 12 Oct 2013

This tends to suggests that the trial version of Office has not been fully removed.

Remove your Office 2003 and then refer to the instructions from Microsoft click here to fully remove the 2007 version. I actually went through my registry and removed all instances of MS Office, Word etc which worked well.

Reinstall Office 2003 and you should be ok.

onthelimit1 15:14 12 Oct 2013
Answer

Thanks Pineman - that did seem very likely, but having gone through all those registry edits, I still have the problem. It is very odd, as I've uninstalled trial Office then installed 2003 numerous times without any problem. As they are able to open existing documents, and can start a new Word doc from a desktop shortcut, I'll give in. If they don't like it I will install Open Office!

Thanks for the suggestions.

onthelimit1 09:02 17 Oct 2013

Update. Customer tried to input entries into the contacts list, but as soon as he opened the list it closed! Decided to install Office 2007 and that's working perfectly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?