M/S Word 2007 - line of dashes which I can't delete

Trenny 20:29 07 Oct 2013
Answered

How can I delete a line of dashes in a word 2007 document? I am not sure how they got there in the first place! They may be related to the ruler because when I put the cursor on the line it shows two tiny horizontal lines which can be moed up or down as if it is something to do with a pagee-ending. and also the ruler appears atthe side. If I select and copy text above or below, the black dashes are copied also. I can't select the line to delete them. Thank you for any help.

Woolwell 21:25 07 Oct 2013

You may have accidentally drawn a dotted line across the page. See if you can highlight just the left hand edge and delete. Using the pilcrow ¶ may allow you to see it better and if there is an anchor symbol by it.

lotvic 22:03 07 Oct 2013

Sounds to me like the dashed line for the 'Header' or 'Footer'

Woolwell 22:08 07 Oct 2013

lotvic - not sure that the dashes for header or footer can be copied.

lotvic 22:21 07 Oct 2013

Woolwell, agree but it fits with rest of OP's description

wee eddie 07:36 08 Oct 2013

My guess is that it is some form of Formatting and I was going to make that comment until I realised that I had no idea how to remove it.

Sounds more like a Page Break to me, though.

wee eddie 07:36 08 Oct 2013

My guess is that it is some form of Formatting and I was going to make that comment until I realised that I had no idea how to remove it.

Sounds more like a Page Break to me, though.

wee eddie 07:38 08 Oct 2013

Sorry about the double posting ~ The Forum is its usual canaptuous self this morning!

Ian in Northampton 19:44 09 Oct 2013
Answer

A couple of tricks that work for me getting rid of some of Word's idiosyncrasies:

1. Sometimes, it won't allow you to delete it something - but it will allow you to cut (Control-x) it

2. Cutting the relevant text and pasting it into Wordpad will generally strip out formatting you don't want - although you may have to reformat it when you paste it back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?